Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such thing as cheap LT1 parts?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such thing as cheap LT1 parts?!?

After tearing apart my 94 Firebird Trans Am, finding the timing cover bolts finger loose, a dirty electronic distributor, and corroded and rusted cap points and rotor, I have just called every parts store in town (6 of them) for replacement parts.

Cheapest electronic distributor: $165 (most expensive: $400)

I went to pick it up only to find the cap and rotor are not included with the distributor. Haynes Manual and every online reference to changing the distributor refer to the distributor, cap, and rotor as one unit. I've yet to find anything describing that the pieces need separated. So I call around for cap and rotor prices.

Cheapest cap and rotor: $130 (most expensive: $300)

Whaht the heck!!! No, the points and rotor are not gold plated. I've never spent more than $20 to replace a cap and rotor, now the cap and rotor from the same place I'd get the cheapest distributor cost MORE than the distributor.

And who the heck makes a T-15 sized reverse torx driver? None of the parts stores even knew such thing existed. Sears has no idea what I am talking about, and the most I can get out of the garages is, "We'll check with our tool supplier." I can't even find a torx head screw that size at the hardware store so that I could make my own tool.

DOES ANYONE know where, if possible, I can find decently priced replacement part for the LT1? All I want to do is get this darn car running so I can sell it.

Thanks for any help.
    Binksman

The part your looking at is also called the Optispark, I had to replace mine and thru an online store the cheepest I could find was for 300 + shipping. The dealer in my area was asking over 1100 for it (canadian).

It's best to replace the intire unit not just the pieces because those screws you will probably brake when you try to remove them. Search for Optispark and on those threads there are links to part stores and stuff to get them for around 300.
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

For the optispark distributer, go with a genuine GM replacement.

For big discounts on genuine GM parts.........

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 or 850-243-8826 (direct parts dept ph #)
      email: parts@samtaylor.com
      Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac Ft. Walton Beach, FL

or

Dal Slabaugh: 877-448-5451
      email: lockitup@bright.net
      VanDevere Buick/Pontiac/Olds Akron, OH

Comment

Originally posted by Binksman
        And who the heck makes a T-15 sized reverse torx driver? None of the parts stores even knew such thing existed. Thanks for any help.
        Binksman
        They are called male and female torx drivers. Although fairly rare, see them in decent kits all the time

Comment

Dont mean to, but I had to laugh at the newbie!!!!
          didn't know what he was gettin into when he bought the f-bod.
          Sam taylor was where I bought my Optispark from and i think it got to my door for less than $275. What you need the Torx bit for? I dont remember using one when i did my install a few months ago.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

In a pinch, you can take a T15 screw out of the throttle body cover plate, wrap it in tape to protect the threads, then put it in a vise grip to use it as a socket. Works great on the Opti screws. I think the correct size is Torx E4.

The E4 is only needed if you plan to disassemble the two halfs of the Opti.

Note also that when you order the Opti for your 94, you need the UNVENTED model that was used in the 92-94 LT1's. Its the more expensive of the two available, but your 94 can not use the less expensive VENTED model without converting a lot of other parts.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X