AIR pump question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIR pump question?

If I remove the AIR and have it programed out you should not fail the sniffer.
    Is this correct?
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Also what do you use as caps for the connection on the exhaust manifold.
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

I dunno if it has to be programmed out but as far as the cap goes I just went to a hardware store here and he gave me a brass plumbing cap. It works perfect.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

I just ran my car through NJ private Inspection. Headers kept burning up the hose from the airpump to the check valves, so I just capped them off at the headers. Airpump was still physically plugged in electrically, just no hoses connected. Barely passed.. NOx was VERY close to failing.

Fixed the guys pc, so he could get his estimating software back up and running... Inspection was free!
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

id advise against it i took my stuff out and im getting so many codes thrown at me you would think i was using game shark.
          -Nick-
          95 A4 Z28

Comment

On a 4th Gen (this is different than the 3rd Gen) AIR is used only at startup to help the cats heat up faster. Unless the drive cycle used on the emissions dyno includes a cold start (most of them don't) the missing AIR system will not affect emissions.

However, if you physically remove it you will fail a "visual" check if they do one.

As noted above, if the system is missing, you will get an SES light and code (96/97 OBD-II only). You can have the diagnostic turned off in the PCM to eliminate the SES light and the code. BUT this means the AIR system will show up as "not ready" when they hook the emissions computer up to the ALDL connector. In some states you are allow one or two "not readies" and still will pass.

In the long run, eliminating the system is sort of pointless... it doesn't provide any performance gains, it does actually increase emissions, and it causes all these hassles with emissions checks. I built an 800HP setup, and kept ALL the emissions systems (cats, EGR, AIR, EEC, PCV) intact, and I lost absolutely "0" HP. The AIR and EGR don't even operate at WOT.

To plug the holes in the exhuast manifolds, you need either an M22 oil drain plug (93-95 single cat) or an M18 plug (95 dual cat and all 96/97s). I believe you may also be able to use an "AN" type plug, but not sure.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X