Windshield washers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield washers

It started to rain today so I turned on my windshield washers and they worked fine. When I went to turn them off they go down then come up and stop in the middle of the windshield. I tried turning everything with the windshield lever thinking I hit something by mistake but every time they just stop in the up position perfectly straight. How do i fix this??

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

I am not sure how to fix this, but my car does something similar where i go to turn them off and they just keep going on one setting and i cant get them off. Usually if I turn the car off for a little while, with the windshield wipers in the off position then put the key in the accessary position they go back down. But if saomeone else could shed some light on thi problem that would be great.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Believe it or not it is a bad motor. The motor has a sensor in it to know when it at the home position. When it goes bad, it doesn't know when to stop. I know 2 guys that have had this problem and it was hilarious to ride with them before they fixed it. You'd be driving down the road and all of a sudden the wipers would start by themselves and you couldn't get them to turn off. It would be a nice sunny day and he'd be driving down the road with the wipers going. Totally embarrassing.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

mine turns on fine and stops fine but its just stops in the up postion. it looks like the ricers who put the 1 windshiled in the middle of the window. it blocks my vision when im trying to drive.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Mines all messed up also. I won't go "home" after I turn them off they just sit in the "rest" position and I only have high speed, which sometime acts like it binds coming out of the "rest" position and is real slow to start. If I try any other speed to will freeze in the "rest" position and not do anything, but if I hit the washer fluild if will go back and forth twice "low speed" without a problem. Florida in the summer with wipers with a mind of their own isn't fun at all.

Advance Auto has it for $70 and a $25 core. So looks like I'm gonna have to pick one up before I hurt myself.

Also, on a side note. anyone that is gonna remove ther wipers, you need a puller, I found out the hard way and cracked my windsheild but thats another story for another day.
          Richard Harvey Jr.
          '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

when i turn mine off they dont sit in the 'rest' its sits in the middle of the window. i can push them down but as soon as you turn the key they go to the middle of the window and stop. only thing i know of to do is pull the fuse and push them down. just have to put it back it when it rains.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Zippo910
              when i turn mine off they dont sit in the 'rest' its sits in the middle of the window. i can push them down but as soon as you turn the key they go to the middle of the window and stop. only thing i know of to do is pull the fuse and push them down. just have to put it back it when it rains.
              I'm telling ya it's the motor.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

ok ill see about the motor just seems weird when it still works just dosnt stop in the right spot.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Yep the motor

The motor has a component called a "pulse board" which is the brain. Used to be you could replace just the pulse board, but now the board is built in to the motor. I know about this one, I have replaced two. The both "parked" in the up position.
                  There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
                  '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
                  '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
                  '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

Since this post was brought back up, ill give an update. I replaced the motor a while back and Jeff was right it fixed the problem.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Boy that Jeff guy is smart for a down south good ol boy.
                      Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
                        Boy that Jeff guy is smart for a down south good ol boy.
                        Blazer
                        LOL

Comment

This condition occurs a lot when the wipers are froze to the windshield. When the wipers are turned on while frozen, it actually bends the "park tab" that the motor gear usually rests on while turned off. When that is bent, the gear can't find "home" or "park" and they end up parking midway through the wipers sweep. I have had cases where the tab could be bent back to the original position and the wipers were fine. It not, then yes, the motor must be replaced.
                          2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
                          Slp Lid
                          K & N Filter
                          FTRA Kit
                          Corsa Cat-back

Comment

Working...
                          X