Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail HELP - ENGINE BAY!

Hey guys,

I need to clean my engine bay, but I am afraid to power wash it, especially now where I have a lot of stereo stuff installed. I want to use simple green, but I'm not sure how to do this since I won't be hosing the engine off. Can i spray some on a sponge and wipe the engine, then take another wet sponge and go over it? Will Simple Green HURT the engine, paint or anything else on the car if it's NOT all wiped off? It says "it's non-abrasive, but I want to make sure... If someone could help me out, that would be great. The engine's not really dirty, just like dust and dirt on it that needs to be wiped or sprayed off... ANY HELP?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

you've got the right idea with the simple green.... I'd probably use rags rather than a sponge, though. Finish it off with some Zaino rubber/plastic protectant to keep it looking great! (I feel like an infomercial)
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

SImple green in a bucket diluted down and a long bristled brush will work. Scrub everything well and then rinse with water. Do not powerwash.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

There ya go.... flirting with the caps rule......

Comment

sweet guys, I will give it a try.. One question, will simple green hurt anything if you don't get it all washed out of the engine bay? It's not going to eat through the paint or anything in the engine bay is it? The reason I ask, is I will try to wash it off with water, but I have so much aftermarket things everywhere that can't get wet, it will be hard to use a hose or such. Please let me know.

Jeff
          One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Comment

Simple Green will not damage anything if left on for a long period. It is completely harmless.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you have an air compressor, blast the engine compartment with it first. You would be amazed how much dust comes off just by doing that.
              2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
                If you have an air compressor, blast the engine compartment with it first. You would be amazed how much dust comes off just by doing that.
                Thats actually a pretty good idea....i gotta friend who has one...maybe ill comandeer it one day.
                -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

I just started detailing mine yesterday and used simple green as a degreaser. It works great. I did rinse mine off with a hose but not using the high pressure setting. I just take care when hosing to not spray in the very front of the motor and to be careful of any areas where there is a lot of electrical lines. You can use plastic bags to cover the things you are afraid of getting wet ( like Opti) if you want to be extra careful.

Dave is right about the plastic, but be sure you don't use a flammable protectant! Some of them are.

Hope this helps a bit.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
                  Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Working...
                  X