what should i add next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should i add next

Just got my WS6 two weeks ago, and it had some stuff already done to it, but i want to add some more. Right now it has SLP air intake box, SLP strut tower barce, SLP exhaust, SLP suspension, and SLP sub-frame connectors. I want to add a little more power to it. I was thinking about adding the slp 160 thermostat, and the slp mass air flow sensor. but some one told me that they dont work together. If they dont which one should I get? I also plan on getting the LS6 intake in october, if that make a differance on which one i should get now.

99 T/A WS-6
    SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
    2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
    88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Re: what should i add next

Originally posted by 99WS6TA
    I was thinking about adding the slp 160 thermostat, and the slp mass air flow sensor. but some one told me that they dont work together. If they dont which one should I get? I also plan on getting the LS6 intake in october, if that make a differance on which one i should get now.
    The thermostat and the MAF are not affected by each other. I wouldn't bother with the MAF, though, for a long time until you go from a stock to a very wild setup...that is to say, your MAF flows all of the air you will need unless you start playing with the heads, cam, and programming.

If you go with a 160 stat, you will need to reprogram the fans so you might want to get a tuner before going with a MAF.

For the next mod, I would go with a set of long tube headers and y-pipe, or gears. You won't be disappointed
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To back up what Mark said.....

The MAF won't do much (some say ..) with your basically stock set-up. You can, however, remove the screen in the inlet side of the MAF & also dissassemble the MAF & port the aluminum ends (there are quite a few write-ups on this at various different web sites).

Your '99 car also has EGR. You can pull the EGR tube out of the intake manifold & cut the end off ... which sticks right down into the intake throat ... and reinstall it. Again, lots of write-ups on this.

A 160 degree 'stat is good, but as Mark said, you'll need an HPP-3 or something, to set the temp that the fans come on ... to 160 deg. It won't hurt anything if you don't.... you just won't realize the benefits of the lower temp 'stat ... unless you're cruising fast enough that the airflow through the radiator is sufficient to keep it at 160 degrees.

Don't bother with an LS6 manifold until you at least have headers. Even with headers, the LS6 manifold shows marginal gains (and those are just at the upper RPM) unless you're into cam and heads.

Even though it's expensive..... a good set of long tube headers (don't bother with shorties) will give you a very good "seat of the pants" power gain. The actual gains are around 25 RWHP & 20 to 25 RWTQ. That's A LOT !

Gordon
      www.provenperformanceconcepts.com

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Working...
      X