UPDATE: Re: SLP Flywheel / SPEC II clutch and vibes...>>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Re: SLP Flywheel / SPEC II clutch and vibes...>>

OK..here is the update, things are better but still not perfect. I had the U-Joint rotated 180 degrees on the rear axle..took the car for drive, and the noise is reduced (almost to a livable level)...I took the car for its first highway drive and I have a "body" viration around 90-100mph..I've had this problem before, and it turned out to be my carrier bearings in the rear end were shot. Anyways, to see if its the clutch, I put it into nuetral (at 90mph) and let the engine idle...VIBRATION is still there. So I guess this means its not the clutch setup, but something else, and the only thing I can think of is the rear U-Joint. Its the only other part that was removed from the car. Is it possible that the u-joint was not bolted up perfectly, and is causing the vibes? I have a new one on order and will have it installed tomorrow.

Any other takes on this?

Jason.

FIXED...finally, SLP lightweight Spec II vibe problem...FYI for others>>

First off, thanks for all the reply's to my recent weeks problems...here is what ultimately fixed my vibe problem after Spec II / SLP flywheel install.

1/ After install, had vibration/rattle problem under low RPM load. Replaces U-Joint (rear) and had Alum driveshaft balanced. That fixed the 90mph vibration problem.

2/ gave up on the rattle. After conversations with SLP and SPEC (they each blame the others product...thanks for the help) the only advice was to switch to synthetic fluid. I did not do this yet.

3/ After about two weeks, I'm cruising down the highway, and get a SES light. 65mph 6th gear...just cruising, no noticable problem..just a light. I stop the car, shut it off restart and no light. ok.

4/ Next day, same problem..same speed, 6th gear..etc. (The entire ignition system was replaced last fall..NEW everything.) hmmm.

So..I'm searching everywhere on the net, and come across a site (can't remember what it was) but it discussed harmonics and engine balancing etc. They went on to say that an LT1 motor(neutrally balanced) sometimes suffered from a misfiring #8 cylinder. This would cause problems.

So..tonight, I let the car cool down, dig down to have a pick at #8..low and behold the plug was loose. I could spin it out with my hand. This was the only plug that was loose (reachable ones) and it was quite white on the tip. So I replace it, tighten it down go for a ride and rattle / vibes totally gone. hmmmm...

It appears that the problem may have been there for a while, but with the stock Iron flywheel, the rotating mass compensated for it, changing the rattle frequency to something other than what I was experiencing...with the lighter clutch setup, the noise attenuated to a RPM that was much more noticable. 1500-1800..

Anyways, thought I'd pass along my findings. Thanks again for everyp) the only advice was to switch to synthetic fluid. I did not do this yet.

3/ After about two weeks, I'm cruising down the highway, and get a SES light. 65mph 6th gear...just cruising, no noticable problem..just a light. I stop the car, shut it off restart and no light. ok.

4/ Next day, same problem..same speed, 6th gear..etc. (The entire ignition system was replaced last fall..NEW everything.) hmmm.

So..I'm searching everywhere on the net, and come across a site (can't remember what it was) but it discussed harmonics and engine balancing etc. They went on to say that an LT1 motor(neutrally balanced) sometimes suffered from a misfiring #8 cylinder. This would cause problems.

So..tonight, I let the car cool down, dig down to have a pick at #8..low and behold the plug was loose. I could spin it out with my hand. This was the only plug that was loose (reachable ones) and it was quite white on the tip. So I replace it, tighten it down go for a ride and rattle / vibes totally gone. hmmmm...

It appears that the problem may have been there for a while, but with the stock Iron flywheel, the rotating mass compensated for it, changing the rattle frequency to something other than what I was experiencing...with the lighter clutch setup, the noise attenuated to a RPM that was much more noticable. 1500-1800..

Anyways, thought I'd pass along my findings. Thanks again for everyones help..i've been paying attention here for years, however only speak out occasionally.

Jason.

Comment

Hmmm.....
      Good work tracking that down, Jason!

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Working...
      X