X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobil One too thin?????

Hi all,
    I just read over on LS1tech.com on a conversation about Mobil
    One 5w30 being too thin for the LS1 engine.
    I have been using it since I bought my 2002 Firehawk and I don't
    want something to go wrong with it.
    I had no problems that I can tell yet. I change my oil every 3 months because of habit. I never reach 3,000 miles. I use Mobil
    One 5w30 tri-syn. and K&N oil filter.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Adam H. 2002 T/A Firehawk #536 M6

It comes with Mobil 1 from the factory - GM has used it on Vettes since C4 and the F-car started using it in 02. Its OK. You don't need to change syntehtic every 3000 miles-it doesn't break down like dyno oil. As long as the filter is catching all of the junk in the oil, no problem.

Comment

the thickness of the oil is the same whether it is synthetic or non sythetic, the 5w-30 rating is there for a reason. The real debate is in regards to high mileage engines. The physical molecule of the synthetic oil is smaller and may start leaking past the seals in high mileage motors. Mobil 1 came out with a high mileage formula to combat this problem.

Comment

i got a nice ocean front piece of property to sell you in Nevada...interested?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffY
          . You don't need to change syntehtic every 3000 miles-it doesn't break down like dyno oil. As long as the filter is catching all of the junk in the oil, no problem.
          The lubricating properties of synthetic oil don't break down, but the ADDITIVE packages do, just like conventional oil. Anti-foam additives, oxidation inhibitors, detergents etc.. all break down and should be changed every 3 thousand. Dont buy synthetic oil so you dont have to change it, buy it because it lubricates better.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
            The lubricating properties of synthetic oil don't break down, but the ADDITIVE packages do, just like conventional oil. Anti-foam additives, oxidation inhibitors, detergents etc.. all break down and should be changed every 3 thousand. Dont buy synthetic oil so you dont have to change it, buy it because it lubricates better.
            I believe GM changed their oil change requirements with synthetics from 3000 to 7500. Had tp ass EPA regs. before they could do it - took a while.

Comment

The reason why they say 7500 is to pass EPA regs. Also, when the consumer looks at the cost per mile to operate the vehicle, it appears cheaper as oil changes are twice a year instead of 4 times. Im still changing every 3 thousand. Too much $ wrapped up to let my engine run on 6 mos. old oil.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

we (feds) are doing a serious new study on the "lifetime" of oil. there is a comprensive study already done, its called the "Oil Bible" or something simular. its online and not cheap. we ordered the book, from what we here, it has some merit. i have the site bookmarked at work, not home, otherwise i would post it.

right now, we (GSA fleet) alow a 7500 mile interval for oil changes on 11,500 gvw below gas engines. this was OK'd by the big three as well. the only thing we dont fudge is the GM oil minder program....if its a gm..and the light goes on, its not ignored, the change is done. warranty issues would arise if not. of cource the alternate fuel vehicles have some strict requirments that must be followed.. but then you have to "use our oil" says D/C and Ford... but we are working at that...thats a money maker for them...

its a big game out there... i too changed every 3k for cheap insurance. im going to stretch that now by 1 or 2k i believe. the new synthetics hold up very nicely. Ft Belvoir, u.s. army facility in VA, does all the oil anaylisis testing for DOD and i've been able to get my hands on some of thier reports..

tell ya..im getting ready to do the first oil change in the Envoy.. and 6.5 qts of mobil 1 is not a cheap sunday afternoon!

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Since I converted the car to Mobil 1, I'll let it go between 5-6 before an oil change now. ( of course I use a qt every 3-4K )

Most manuals say, between 6-8K as a suggested oil change. I would say that should be normal since they warranty the motor.

I use a synthetic oil filter, has anyone heard anything about them?

Comment

I upped mine to 4K, I would go to 5 but I have the 160 stat and there was some concern about the low temps not burning off the impurities in the oil.
                    Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit
                      Since I converted the car to Mobil 1, I'll let it go between 5-6 before an oil change now. ( of course I use a qt every 3-4K )

Most manuals say, between 6-8K as a suggested oil change. I would say that should be normal since they warranty the motor.

I use a synthetic oil filter, has anyone heard anything about them?
                      synt oil filter....yes, i heard they were exspensive and overkill... i use the stock gm filter. like.....on sale for 2.48 man.... like....

Comment

as for how long oil can last, the dually goes 3 years between changes without problems. and it's a very high milage motor, into the odometer flipped 2 or 3 times so far. so yes, oil can last a long time.

of course, the dually is a farm truck/ boat hauler, and rarely gets driven, so the oil sits most of the time.
                        http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
                        Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
                        Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
                        Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
                        Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

Working...
                        X