nfb: this...is so stooooooooopid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfb: this...is so stooooooooopid

some of ya know I am one of the Govt.'s tire engineers, however, I do not work directly for NHTSA, but am the repesentative from my agency on thier committees. I stronly oposed this, as did some of NHTSA's folks...yet.... good ol "know-it-all" politicians ran with it anyway....

Senate passes energy bill with rolling resistance amendment
    Tire Business staff report©

WASHINGTON (June 28, 2005) — The Senate has passed a wide-ranging energy bill that includes an amendment by Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., calling for a national fuel efficiency rule for tires.

The amendment, which the tire industry opposes, would require that the rolling resistance on replacement tires be no greater or less than that of original equipment tires. California, which passed an identical bill in 2003, is now studying whether the law will compromise tire safety, performance and recycling too much to enforce, and the Massachusetts legislature is also considering a nearly identical measure.

The House version of the bill, which passed in April, does not contain a tire fuel efficiency provision. This will be one of many issues the House-Senate conference on the energy package will have to consider; the highest-profile one will be the House provision—not in the Senate bill—to allow oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.

.................................................. ...................

Now ... think about it... for one: if the rolling resistance is less, thats a good thing! why would they car about that? two: compromise tire safety? how?...if the rolling resistance is the same as the O.E. tire, then thats the tire that evaluated by the vehicle manuf. to meet the required traction coenficients for the proper handling of that particular vehicle?????!!!!!!!!!
    three: recycling???????wtf??????? if the tire wears like O.E., instead of some soft shoe 1.99 special...thats going to retard the scrap tires, not accelerate it........four: performance? wtf? if it has the same rolling resistance as the o.e., then how is it going to affect performance. .... and if you want to get a higher performance tire for your 'hot rod'..then all you have to do is buy one, cause there are so many makes and models of cars out there that just about every tire made is going to meet somebodies criteria for rolling resistance...

what a bunch of political showmanship-goody-two-shoe-bs...........

sorry..had to vent....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Good ole' Chuck Schumer. He's the second biggest (_!_) of a Senator in New York. I'm not in New York... right next to it, and I still can't stand either of those two windbags.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'm in New York and I can tell you they are both morons in my book.

How stupid...
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Those two sound like idiots, my question is that with all of the other problems both in and out of our country congress is worrying about the rolling resistance of tires???!!! Sure its a good show, but when it comes down to it they're all just afraid to take a stand on something that matters.
        -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Working...
        X