Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: GM Employee Discount Paying Off

Link to article.

GM's Employee Discount seems to be jump-starting sales. Let's hope the sales keep coming in AFTER the offer is over.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

they won't. Anyone who was even considering purchasing a new car probably jumped on these savings, now there won't be anyone left who wants a car bad enough to pay full price for one when the discount is over. It was a good campaign, but I don't see it helping the company in the long run.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Maybe not, but hopefully just long enough for them to right the ship.

I found the last line in the article a little interesting... "Chrysler is considering a similar promotion if GM extends its program past the Tuesday deadline."
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

Comment

There are no gimmicks that will repair GM's short sightedness. They put all of their time and effort in their SUVs, killed the b-body, killed the f-body, and let their cars go to pot. They didn't pursue the XV8 concept so the SUVs and trucks get horrific gas mileage which is killing sales(fewer and fewer people want those full size gasaholics.) When the Silverado was tested at over 30mpg with the XV8 3 years ago, and their trucks & SUVs are still getting 14/17mpg, there is something seriously wrong. The imports are capturing market share right now. GM just doesn't have the vehicles. There is nothing innovative or special about their cars...nothing affordable anyway. If they give their stuff away, sure, some people will jump on it; but that doesn't mean they are going to make any money. I have a friend who can allow me to use her GM Employee discount. That coupled with my 2k on my GM card still doesn't compel me to visit their dealerships. The fastest decreasing North American market is in the full size truck and SUV segment, and GM abandoned Zeta to pursue the SUV face-lift. ...that should tell us something. I want to know how GM went from the industry innovators to the watch and react crowd? DC's 300/Magnum/Charger is selling like crazy. I wanted a 300, went to the dealer, and they wouldn't drop the car one penny so I ended up settling for that wretched Bonneville. Nissan's sales are surging, and DC is planning on the release of the new Challenger in the next three or four years. GM is so far behind the 8 ball it is ridiculous.
        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Again, I just hope it helps them enough to turn things around. GM has been known to release vehicles ahead of estimated dates. The return of the F-body might be sooner than we think. Let's just hope it's soon enough.

Do I think GM has dug their own grave? Yes. However, I don't believe they are going to be spending any time in it. That aside, I'm still a GM guy. Always have been, always will be. I'm rooting for them to right the ship and move forward.
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
            The return of the F-body might be sooner than we think. Let's just hope it's soon enough.
            Ya before they go under, at least I could have one of the last GM vehicles ever made

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror