Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

URGENT! Help with wiring harness in car!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT! Help with wiring harness in car!

I drilled a hole in the plastic to run a wire and knocked off what looks like a teal wire inside the harness. I started the car, started right up, but the ABS INOP light is now on. Please help! If I need to replace the entire harness, I seriously need help in doing that. I need to know all the connectors it connects to. Thank you all in advance for helpins someone in need.

Some idea of where on the car you were drilling might help, but basically, you can just open up the harness covering at that point and repair the damage.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

It's right where the firewall is. You know, where the engine bay and inside meet under the dash, left of the brake. The big plug that is held in by one screw.

Comment

Now I find out my wipers don't work either.

Comment

I guess nobody has worked with this type of harness before (is it even a harness? Really looks like one, but doesn't look like I can unplug it). I guess my best bet would be to take it to the dealer or other repair facility. Thanks.

Comment

nope. just slice in a butt connector or resodder the wire. all u gotta do
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

88bird5spd,

I wish it was that easy. The problem is the 4th gens have this thing that looks like a plug. I'm starting to think that the plastic piece that looks like a plug (thatI drilled the hole in) could be just something to group all the wires as they enter the car from the engine bay. The only reason I found out I took out a wire or two after drilling is cause when I took the drill out of the hole, I found some teal on the bit along with copper wire strands that are in a wire.

Not sure how many other wires I took out when drilling, I am concerned about driving the car to an auto electric repair facility which I did make an appointment for (I explained what happened, and they said they will be able to fix).

Since I am finding out that the ABS INOP light is on (still have brakes, just not anti-lock), and the wipers don't work, sounds like I took out 2 wires when drilling. Do I need to be concerned about wires touching each other? I am not worried about either wire touching the ground since they are pretty tight which is why I can't get to them!)

The car is still drivable. What precautions do I need to take before driving it to the shop (fuses, relays, etc.)?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

All the shop is going to do is tear it all apart until they can get to the damage and then splice out the damaged wires. You can do that yourself and save a lot of coin. Any electrical repair is usually costly.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

shoebox,

I know where the problem is. It's in the big thing that looks like a plug held in by one screw. The "plug" is on the driver's side under the dash mounted to the firewall with one screw. I can explain this to the tech when I bring it.

Is there a way I can get that plug apart? I don't want to make the problem any worse than it already is.

Last update, the brake light in the dash does not work. So now, the following does not work since I drilled the hole:
                  ABS, Wipers, Brake light.

Comment

I have not personally been into that part of the wiring. If I had your problem, I would just start taking it apart to see what I need to fix.

Comment

Can someone PLEASE tell me if it's possible to open up that gray/black thing attached to the firewall that looks like a plug and is holding the wires? I just want to know if it's possible since I know that is where the damaged wires are (which is why I can't get to them).

Comment

Are you referring to the brake light switch?

KnightFire
                        1993 Formula Firebird
                        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Knightfire,

No, I'm referring to the placic piece that has like 15-20 wires coming through the firewall. I damaged 1 or 2 wires and need to crack it open and repair. Any way to do that, and would I be able to order a new plastic piece so I can have them held in place again (including the new wire I was trying to run)?

Comment

Car is currently in the shop. Had it towed there. Last I heard is the techs disconnected half the harness so they can take a look to see if they can repair the damaged wires (damage is inside plastic thing that looks like a plug and sits on the firewall on drivers side).

They tell me if they can't repair the broken wires, they need to replace the entire harness. Is the IAT sensor part of that same harness that goes to the relays? If so, where can I buy an IAT sensor extender (just the wire) as I really don't feel like cutting up the new harness for this mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffs Black 97 Formula A4
                              Car is currently in the shop. Had it towed there. Last I heard is the techs disconnected half the harness so they can take a look to see if they can repair the damaged wires (damage is inside plastic thing that looks like a plug and sits on the firewall on drivers side).

They tell me if they can't repair the broken wires, they need to replace the entire harness. Is the IAT sensor part of that same harness that goes to the relays? If so, where can I buy an IAT sensor extender (just the wire) as I really don't feel like cutting up the new harness for this mod.
                              You can make your own IAT harness extender, the plugs are available at most speed shops (check Summit). Some places may even sell the actual harness.

As a note, to allow people to help you more easily, please supply pictures/diagrams of the problem area, as descriptions can be misleading or hard to understand on their own. Just a suggestion . Hope it gets fixed without reaming you for too much $$. Take care.
                              Steve
                              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                              X