Front License Plates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front License Plates

Do cops really pull you over and give tickets for not having front license plates in states that require them? Is anyone here from Wisconsin perhaps - how are WI cops?

I disagree with the basis for even having them at all. If a cop gets you in a speed trap or other violation they're going to be looking at the back of your car as they pull you over - how does a FRONT plate help the cops to I.D. you?

Well....I lived in a state that did not require it and now here in Wisconsin everyone "has" to have one according to the book. I think it totally ruins the aero style of the Camaro front end and would really rather not put one on. I do have the original factory bracket - but it will require drilling thru the plastic grille and if I ever leave this state and want to remove it then I will have bare holes or an empty license plate bracket. So if I have to, I might buy a new or used grille that I can drill and If I ever dont require the plate just swap grilles. Does anyone by chance want to sell a 98-02 Camaro black grille or know where I might get one cheap?

But my first instinct would be just not to put the plate on at all...if I knew it wouldn't cost me. has anyone ever gotten a ticket for not having one?
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

your best bet is to get a couple of suction cups and stick it to your windshield on the drivers side on the dash. you can just lay it in there. it has to be suction cupped otherwise you'll get a ticket for it. i've had my car 4 months now and have been pulled over about 11 times for no plate. no ticket yet though

Comment

I have mine on the air dam. So far, no tickets. And if I get one, it will be probably better than if no plate at all. Otherwise I would use a temporary method of attachment so it could be removed for a car show.

Comment

I too have mine mounted on the air dam. It's scraped up like hell, but it protects the air dam. Never been pulled over for it since I took delivery for license plate issues. THe guards at the base ask me if it is legal, and as long as it is mounted in the front, it meets RI law... and they are super-strict in meeting all states (wherever the vehicle is registerd) and federal laws. You see most states do not excplicitly state WHERE on the front it is located

Every 2 years I go for inspecion, safety and emissions. I just temporarily mount it normally and I place it back on the air dam afterwards so as not to put the shop in a tight position (law does not state where - leaving it open for any legal opinion). It works great
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

In Illinois we need to have a front plate as well. I used to have it on, but took it off about 9 months ago. I've gotten one ticket since then....wasn't even pulled over. I just went out to my car one day and code enforcement had just written me a ticket. Paying $25 dollars to me though is just a fee I have to pay from time to time for not having a plate.
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

They have really cracked down recentley here in Connecticut. I have my front plate attached to the car, but I have the front plate filler mounted over it. The plate is on the car, it's just not visible because it's behind the filler.

I was pulled over two weeks ago in a spot check. I told the cop I was taking pictures of the car the day before and forgot to remove the plate cover. I keep a Torx in my console just in case. I removed the cover real quick and showed him the plate was underneath. He let me go and just asked me to remember to remove the cover after I'm done taking pics. Sure I will, officer....
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
              I was pulled over two weeks ago in a spot check. I told the cop I was taking pictures of the car the day before and forgot to remove the plate cover. I keep a Torx in my console just in case. I removed the cover real quick and showed him the plate was underneath. He let me go and just asked me to remember to remove the cover after I'm done taking pics. Sure I will, officer....
              HAHAHAHAHA.... good one

I remember when I was pulled over for going 7 over on the highway about a month after I took my plate off. He took a look at the front of my car and asked about the plate. I said I was driving the other day and it just fell off. I told him to look at the drilled holes if he didn't believe me. He wound up just giving me a warning for my speed and for the plate.
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

SLP has a front plate mount that attaches under the front bumper. Your best bet is to look at the law in your state and see exactly what it says. At least you'll know what you're up against....
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Don't like the looks of front license plates on my car so i keep mine on the floor in the back. I could get a ticket but no cop state, or town bother me about it in Albany, NY
                  99 Black WS6
                  99 Black Ski-Doo Mach Z
                  94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

The Denver parking Nazis will give you one if you are parked on the street with no plate...the only ticket I received in my '97. I wish the joint legislative wisdom, or lack there of, would see fit to give exemptions to hobby and special interest cars. My T/As travel less then 2,000 miles a year. I have several daily drivers, I have no problem with a front plate on those. But, why in the heck is necessary for me to worry about emissions and front plates on cars that are rarely driven.
                    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
                      Do cops really pull you over and give tickets for not having front license plates in states that require them?
                      Thru my schooling and all the internships I've done at local police stations throughout the years, I've learned the cops that give you tickets for no front plate, tinted windows, loud exhaust, etc etc.. are rookie cops. They've been on the force for no more than 4 years. This is true because I've witnessed it first hand. The veteran cops don't want to waste their time hunting you down thru traffic with lights and sirens only for a $25.00 citation. It's the rookie cops who get the thrill out of that.
                      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                        Thru my schooling and all the internships I've done at local police stations throughout the years, I've learned the cops that give you tickets for no front plate, tinted windows, loud exhaust, etc etc.. are rookie cops. They've been on the force for no more than 4 years. This is true because I've witnessed it first hand. The veteran cops don't want to waste their time hunting you down thru traffic with lights and sirens only for a $25.00 citation. It's the rookie cops who get the thrill out of that.
                        This whole statement is entirely true. I've said the same things before with my friends, as well as witnessing it first hand many times.

Comment

we have to run front plates here in the uk i hate the way the guy that had the car before me done it he has stuck one on the nose cone and then when the car was painted the clowns masked it foff then put claer cote over the top so now i can not remove it

se what i mean it looks horibble
                          http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                          C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
                          mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Yup, DJ TASO, is 100% correct. I am majoring in Criminal Justice and I am doing an internship right now. I too have seen it. It's the rookie cops. I actually got pinched for tinted windows two years ago - damn rookie cop. I think that they get their badge and gun and think they're all mighty. So, my suggestion is, if you have a lot of younger cops where you primarily drive, keep your windows down if you see a cop (tint), and put your front plate on. You're BOUND to get nailed by one - especially late at night. They're a pain in the pooper!

Jeff
                            One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Comment

Ouch! It's unreal how many people don't take care of their cars... especially these. The guy who owned my car hacked up all sorts of stuff. I've ranted in other threads about it. I've finally gotten to the point where everything is just about back to factory. Just a few more parts.

Hopefully you can get that taken off at some point. Obviously it will require a repaint of the nose, but may be worth it.
                              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                              X