X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wave of the future?

NEDRA News
    John Wayland's 100 mph Record Breaking Run
    May 9 - John Wayland has become the first NEDRA member to race a street legal electric powered car to over 100 mph in the quarter mile, clocking in at 100.76 mph with an ET of 13.004 seconds. And at the same time beating a 375 HP V-8 Camaro in the next lane.

John's car, the "White Zombie", is a 1972 Datsun 1200 powered by dual 8" Warfield motors for 200+ HP, 20 12-volt Exide batteries and a 1400 amp Godzilla controller. In race mode, dual Kilovac Bubba contactors bypass the controller for 2500 amps of delivered battery/motor current.

Although several electric vehicles (EVs) have surpased the 100 mph mark including Bill Dube's Killacycle at 152 mph and Dennis Berube's Dragster at 137 mph, racing a street legal EV to over 100 mph has been an elusive goal. Visit our records page to see several of NEDRA's 100+ mph runs.

It took four l-o-n-g and often frustrating years of chasing White Zombie's best ET and
    speed, to surpass it's world record in the SC/A class. That was back on May 27th, 2000, when with Rich Brown at the wheel on his birthday at Bandimere Speedway near Denver, the 1995 lb., single large motor, 336V version of White Zombie posted a 13.186 @ 99.19 mph quarter mile. In contrast, it took just four short runs Saturday night to push White Zombie past that benchmark and through the 100 mph barrier for street legal EVs...wow, what a great feeling that was! White Zombie is now quicker and faster than it has ever been. I really didn't expect the car with the much heavier, lower voltage pack of Exides (240V @ 800 lbs.) to do this well, but the batteries have proven to be VERY powerful and extremely tough.

Saturday's record run was made even sweeter, as it was done before excited race fans against a full blown modern muscle car, a late model 2001 or 2002 Camaro, the last version of Chevy's Mustang fighter before being dropped out of production. This one was a very nice example, too, painted a gorgeous white pearl, fitted with a custom domed cowl induction hood, and sporting large diameter alloys with fat drag slicks on the rear. It had the LT1 350 V8, pumped up with an aggressive cam, hi-rise intake system, headers and trick exhaust, special performance chip, etc., to the tune of 375 hp according to its owner...nope, not your stock Camaro. He pulled next to me as we staged, and his loping cam and snarling exhaust served notice he was gonna whip my little Datsun...the crowd was going a bit nuts over the grudge match unfolding (I wish there had been someone there with a video cam). He did a ferocious burnout next to me, one that was, quite frankly, a bit intimidating. I was thinking he was going to easily beat me; thinking it was too bad I couldn't be racing against a less powerful car on what I had hoped would be 'the run' where the car would exceed 100 mph...you know, it would just be perfect, to not only hit the century mark, but to do it while also beating a fast car next to me. So, instead of a stock muscle car or maybe a 300 hp Sube STI (an impressive 13.3 for a typical ET), here I had this bad ass Camaro to deal with. When I managed to stay ahead of the Camaro the entire length of the track, I knew I had made a strong run. Read on, to hear the Camaro driver's classic comments to me after that race.

http://www.nedra.com/wayland.html

As I've said before, I can't wait for the time that a silent, electic motored car flattens my eyeballs with extreme acceleration yet hardly producing a whisper......... Talk about being stealthy!

nope.

why?

no "distance" factor.

cant get in one and go from fla. to main non stop. .. not even SC ... now, the hybrids, you can........

and toyota has a 200summing hp hybrid out there right now.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

What they don't tell ya is it prolly only had enuff juice for one run

lol... J/k
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

that whole description of the Camaro is idiotic.

"2001 or 2002 Camaro...LT1???...high rise intake???...agressive cam...fat race slicks...performance chip??? ..."

what a load of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
          that whole description of the Camaro is idiotic.

"2001 or 2002 Camaro...LT1???...high rise intake???...agressive cam...fat race slicks...performance chip??? ..."

what a load of crap.
          hahahahahaha... 375 HP... if I had a 2001 Camaro with slicks, an aggressive cam, high-rise intake, performance chip, and "trick exhaust" and I only gained 25 HP over stock... meanwhile running a time that is no faster than what I ran stock... I think I'd become suicidal.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I agree, probably some B.S. flying in that story.....

BUT......this will be the wave of the future. I think electric motors will be pretty wild. You can do some AMAZING things with electric motors....just ask someone who is into racing elec. RC cars. Scale that up a bit and youve got a crazy ride.

Now introduce the computer controlled electric engine and youve got something that could potentially blow the doors off our gas guzzlers. You can create huge, flat torque curves by varying the slip of the electric motor with a computer (rather than having a fixed slip). Combine this with maybe 4 individual motors.....one for each wheel.....reduce the weight of the batteries and watch out!

I predict it will be coming....... And i want one cause theyre gonne be FAST!
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
              I predict it will be coming....... And i want one cause theyre gonne be FAST!
              and I see big brother mandating computer speed controls that can't be disabled....

remember the 85mph speedometer law?....

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
              '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
              Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                nope.

why?

no "distance" factor.

cant get in one and go from fla. to main non stop. .. not even SC ... now, the hybrids, you can........

and toyota has a 200summing hp hybrid out there right now.......

Honda's Accord Hybrid has 255 hp and is faster and gets better gas mileage than the regular accord. Not a bad combination.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
                  and I see big brother mandating computer speed controls that can't be disabled....

remember the 85mph speedometer law?....
                  There will be an aftermarket for it

I also think they will be very fast. We have a guy at work who is into that stuff and made an electric scooter which is a rocket. He also set up a windmill to charge up my golf cart, and I'm going to get him to alter the controls so it is about twice as fast. The only drawback for electric only cars is you got to charge them up and the electricity has to come from somewhere (powerplant). Powerplants use fuel, whether it's coal, nuclear, or whatever, so there is no free power unless you can harness the sun or wind, and then there is the battery consumption which has gotten better, but it has to be figured into it. Hybrids are a good compromise, so we'll se where that technology goes, at least until they get fuel cell technology up & running.

Comment

It will be a sad day when the rumble of a V8 is replaced by the hum of electric motors. I hope its a long time before electric cars take over.
                    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
                    1995 Silverado-beater truck
                    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 94Z/28
                      It will be a sad day when the rumble of a V8 is replaced by the hum of electric motors. I hope its a long time before electric cars take over.
                      I thought that at one time, but times are changing. Guys said that about fuel injection too. "It will be a sad day when those computers replace my big 'ol carburetor". Its just different....the name of the game will always be the same.....speed.
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                        There will be an aftermarket for it

I also think they will be very fast. We have a guy at work who is into that stuff and made an electric scooter which is a rocket. He also set up a windmill to charge up my golf cart, and I'm going to get him to alter the controls so it is about twice as fast. The only drawback for electric only cars is you got to charge them up and the electricity has to come from somewhere (powerplant). Powerplants use fuel, whether it's coal, nuclear, or whatever, so there is no free power unless you can harness the sun or wind, and then there is the battery consumption which has gotten better, but it has to be figured into it. Hybrids are a good compromise, so we'll se where that technology goes, at least until they get fuel cell technology up & running.
                        Yea, thats the one thing people forget....the power has to come from somewhere. Even with the fuel cell.....it takes power to extract the hydrogen and if youre using fossil fuels to do it, why bother?

I think we are a ways off from fuel cells (due to the infrastructure change), and even though they would be cool - we are a ways of from full electrics (due to range). I think alcohol would be the next best fuel source for automobiles....but that has a few hang-ups too.

Right now, im enjoying the benefits of the waste vegetable oil in my MB - its free! You can run a car on just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                          I thought that at one time, but times are changing. .
                          That's exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

Working...
                          X