SLP headers backorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP headers backorder

Has anyone had experience with SLP headers and backorders? If so, how long did it take to get them? I ordered mine through summit on the first of June. The original expect date was the 23rd. Then it was pushed back to the 30th, then the 1st of July. That date went by, and the date changed to 7/26. Today, it's now at 7/28. I don't know what the delay is, and why it's pushing back every week, so I'll try giving both companies a call to see what's going on.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

After all the negative publicity about SLP headers on this and other boards, you still ordered them? I'd consider this a blessing in disguise and cancel your order and purchase a more high quality set from another brand.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
      After all the negative publicity about SLP headers on this and other boards, you still ordered them? I'd consider this a blessing in disguise and cancel your order and purchase a more high quality set from another brand.
      I could have sworn I remember Joe1320 saying a couple of times that SLP shorties + a random tech y pipe was one of the best combinations out there
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I still would have ordered my shorties from SLP. Fitment is a pain in the butt... but quality is top notch. More than satisfied with the gains, plug access, and ability to retain emissions.

Just get some earls pressure master header gaskets, and stage8 locking bolts.
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
          I could have sworn I remember Joe1320 saying a couple of times that SLP shorties + a random tech y pipe was one of the best combinations out there
          Yep. I've only seen an occational issue with them, usually a mild warp due to them being removed when still hot. Other than that, the ceramic coating will lose a little luster from the heat after some time. The power gains were as expected and I couldn't be more happy. The Random Tech Y pipe combined with the headers gave a good seat of the pants increase, ground clearance is a good as stock, no fittment problems, etc... The only thing about the headers that I can say I'm not thrilled with is the location of the passenger side EGR pickup. It requires some heat shielding to be installed on the heater box and around the heater hoses. Still, a small price to pay for 50 state legal smog headers. Make sure you have the proper gaskets and in my opinion, stage 8 locking header bolts are a must.

Comment

They're not as bad on a 94/95 - you don't have the heater box prob and the headers are a lot different cause of no dual cats in the way of everything pushing the tubes up into the engine compartment. You have to buy an install kit to get the EGR fitting, but the rest of the hardware that comes with it is useless. The EGR fitting is a pain, though, and the warped flanges took some work to sand flat - stainless is VERY tough. IMHO, the warped flange thing is inexcusable - it's just crappy workmanship and no final inspection, or else they think it's OK for some reason. What is good, however is getting coated stainless steel exhaust headers which will last a real long time.

Comment

Just to point out something that may have been missed. Pre-96 SLP Shorty headers are a different design than the one's for the '96-'97 models and are known to deliver noticably better flow in comparison.

If you're looking to keep ground clearance and egr fittings for a '94 than I don't think you'll go wrong with SLP Shorties.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Jay, where did you see the negative publicity on the SLP headers? I'm curious to know because I've seen nothing but "ok" to "good" results on the '94-'95 sets as mentioned previously. The only bad thing I've read was a '96-'97 system on the stock y-pipe/cats.

The largest advantage I saw in this system was that it's the only 1 3/4" CA legal headers. I was tempted to try the AS&Ms but have seen much stricter smog tests in this area, lately. They want the exemption stickers.
                But as far as the backorder goes, how long did it take for you guys to receive them after you ordered it?
                BTW, Joe, I already have the 1406s as I don't want to even try the individual gaskets. I did a search and found your thread earlier
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                  Jay, where did you see the negative publicity on the SLP headers? I'm curious to know because I've seen nothing but "ok" to "good" results on the '94-'95 sets as mentioned previously. The only bad thing I've read was a '96-'97 system on the stock y-pipe/cats.

The largest advantage I saw in this system was that it's the only 1 3/4" CA legal headers. I was tempted to try the AS&Ms but have seen much stricter smog tests in this area, lately. They want the exemption stickers.
                  But as far as the backorder goes, how long did it take for you guys to receive them after you ordered it?
                  BTW, Joe, I already have the 1406s as I don't want to even try the individual gaskets. I did a search and found your thread earlier
                  I'm in LS1 world again... sorry, you may be correct for LT1 headers.
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

lol ok thanks Jay...at least I now know that they're no good on the LS1, if I'd get one in the future

Comment

Here's another quick update. The date is now pushed back to 7/29. Another day, another day pushed back
                      I called Summit and they say it's just a "padded" date but it might not even be there then. I tried contacting SLP but didn't get a response. So it turns out a part that was supposed to be here in 3 weeks might take 3 months. I know there's been worse backorders, but this exhaust leak is driving me nuts.

Comment

Now is a good time to order the stage8 locking bolts... Do it the first time, or the header leak will appear in a few weeks. I couldn't stand the noise from the leak. Might also want to order a high flow catco cat while you are at it. I ordered both from summit. Sucks about the wait though, but it will be worth it in the end. Halfway through replacing the leaking gaskets, I dropped one of the locking washers into the middle of where the 4 pipes meet. Stage8 sent me a set of 4 washers and clips free of charge. I think it was like $40 for the stage8's, and less than $100 for the cat.
                        1995 Firebird Formula
                        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Craig, just be patient broh. It will be worth it in the end. Exhaust leaks are a pain, but it's not like it's going downhill.

Comment

I appreciate the responses guys
                            Well, it is another day, so they pushed it back again to the 30th now. I did buy ARP 12 pt header bolts because everyone on cz28 says the stage 8's are a PITA to remove Nobody has claimed to have any kind of problems with the ARPs so hopefully they'll be ok. Also, I already have a new 3" Carsound to be installed. I bought it flanged so I'll only have to weld 1 end to the y-pipe. I think it costed arond $130. The unflanged one costs $65, so I hope the extra cost was worth it.
                            A quick question though. I bought new iridium plugs so I won't have to change them in a while. Can I install the plugs first before the new headers come on? Or would I need to install a few after they go on? Would I need the special plug socket if so? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Remember to have the flange checked before the headers are installed. I guess my installers missed it because I've had a number of leaks when I had mine. Finally got the locking header bolts on, but the job is such a PITA it pays to check it in the first place and save some headaches.
                              Joe K.
                              '11 BMW 328i
                              '10 Matrix S AWD
                              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                              X