Camaro 3.4L 1994 V6 *Check Engine Light Removal*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro 3.4L 1994 V6 *Check Engine Light Removal*

Hi, Im interested in disconnecting, or removing the sensor that turns on the CHECK Engine Light.

I've been to every mechanic, but no one can find out what the problem is. It's been running fine for a long time, but the light occasionally comes on. I'm always checking the vehicle for mishaps, but nothing seems wrong.

Is there a way to disconnect the bulp, disconnect a fuse, or anything so I won't see the light come on. It really distracts me when I'm driving, and seeing the Check Engine soon light come on.

Any future replies are always welcome, thanks
    1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

It is not just "a" sensor that sets the SES lite, its the PCM or computer that detects trouble codes and then sets the lite. It would NOT be a good idea to disable the lite, since when something really needs your attention you won't know.

Have someone run a diagnostic to get the trouble codes, ie. Autozone will do it for free, and post them here.

Mine comes on occassionaly since I've disconnected the EGR, and the computer is looking for it.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Its intended to distract you while you're driving.... that's the whole purpose. If the light comes on, there's a problem. Anyone with the correct scanner can pull the code(s).... its extremely simple. Even if the SES light has gone out, the problem that caused the light is still stored in the PCM.

If you really want to disconnect it, get a wiring diagram for your car, and pull the wire out of the pin on the connector on the PCM. Your PCM will now have another code for a faulty SES light.

Makes no sense at all to ignore the light, or to remove it. Get the problem diagnosed and fix it.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

alright, I'll go to Autozone, and do it right away.
        1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

Not sure if AutoZone can help you... most posts I have seen indicate they only do OBD-II setups, and your 94 is not OBD-II. Give it a try though.

If you know anyone with an Actron or AutoXray OBD-I scanner, they can do it. It requires a "real" scanner though, not one of the $30 cheapies that simply shorts the ALD connector pins and flashes the code on the SES light.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You'll need to find someone that can scan the codes using an OBD1 scanner. That being said, I 've seen quite a few instances with the 3.4 where the EGR trips an intermittant code. It's a 3 stage digital EGR that frequently gets carbon fouled.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              You'll need to find someone that can scan the codes using an OBD1 scanner. That being said, I 've seen quite a few instances with the 3.4 where the EGR trips an intermittant code. It's a 3 stage digital EGR that frequently gets carbon fouled.
              Is it possible/practical to clean out the carbon in those digital egr's?

I know they are expensive to replace.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
              '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
              Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Yes, but it is a pain in the butt. Clearance is limited as the EGR "tower" sits on the exhaust manifold.... getting the mounting bolts off is not an easy task without totally removing the exhaust manifold.

Comment

I live in Montgomery Alabama, and every single AutoZone, and Advance Auto Parts has their Diagnostics machine broken. Autozone uses OBDII, so thats out of the question. My only hope is to find one out of state, Advance auto parts would surely help me.

digital EGR, is this one possibility of my check engine light? I really don't know deeply about my vehicle, so any information would do great for me at this moment, thanks for future replies! (^_^)
                  1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

Working...
                  X