*NFB* streetbike ?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *NFB* streetbike ?'s

im just wondering how many miles should these things go to i notice that all that are on sale on e-bay are at very low miles for a car i was just wondering what these things look at as a life span

im starting to get interested in them because i know some of my friends are now riding bikes and love to shove gas prices in my face o well 9 bucks will get me to the ocean and back 9 bucks will get me hmmmmmmm to the nearest gas station from my house :-P

but a lot of people on here are starting to buy them or talk about them and i was looking at one as an alternative get around vehicle instead of the camaro so im not puting as many miles on her around the local scene just to get small places on nice days and so forth
    1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

The gas is awesome on the bikes, they're really fun too. I have been told many times that a bike will last as long as a car if properly maintained. They're very high performance motors, made to be run hard, and made to last.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

thank you for the response now onto looking for a bike i can afford and find attractive but thats pretty much all of them
      1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

Comment

The general consensus is that if you want a bike that lasts a long time with low maintenance, buy a Honda. Honda doesn't make the fastest bikes (usually), but they run like a top for a long time and don't spend half their life in the shop. My bike for instance, has only had to have one non-maintenance item, and that was a $10 brake switch. My bike currently has over 33,000 miles on it. It gets a touch under 35 MPG in town, and about 40-42 on the highway. And that's an 1100cc bike as well.

The reason you see low mileage bikes on ebay has several viewpoints. Most of the time, it's people buying them and only keeping them for a couple of years. They have a lot of money, have to have the newest, latest, greatest bike, and they only ride maybe once a week, so it's a toy. Next level is people who wreck them. They get the bike fixed or they just sell it wrecked, once again because of deep pockets, and sell it to get an un-wrecked one that's different than the one they had. The last one is upcoming maintenance.

My bike has a scheduled valve service interval of 16,000 miles. A lot of bikes are on a 12,000 mile interval. This is the part nobody ever tells you about. Because these motors are so high revving and put down so much horsepower per liter, the valves take a beating. The dealer won't ever tell you about it, but the owners manual and service manuals do. The bike has to come in, have the motor dropped, and the valve lash/clearances checked to make sure it's in spec. It's a big job, very precise, labor intensive, and freakin high dollar! The thing with this is that it really doesn't have to be done. When you discover it, and ask a dealer, they say basically the bike will fall apart if you don't have it done. That's BS. With my bike, the CBR1100XX, there are guys that have had 50,000 miles on their motor and only have 1 valve that needed a shim. 1! So most of us don't even worry about it until then. Now that's just speaking for Honda, I don't know if it's like that with other bikes.
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

gas milage is great on bikes when you just cruise but no one does that so I wouldnt expect that great of gas milage. I know I used to get around 20mpg and so did everyone I rode with. That goes for how the motors last as well I have heard just like raro that they can last as long as cars but have yet to actually see one that runs with more than 25k mi. My friend is selling his 03 750 which is one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen. It has a ton of aftermarket on it and only 4400 mi and he's looking for 7500 frim. heres some pics if your interested.
          Attached Files
          R.I.P. 2001 Trans Am- C5's 17" and 18", way too expensive stereo, SLP LM, WS6 hood, and more to come.
          2002 GSXR 750- PC, -1, tinted windscreen

Comment

There's a guy with a CBR1100XX that is in excess of 200K miles the last I heard. My bike has 33k on it, and there are several people on cbr1100xx.org that are 50k plus.

I have the highest mileage of any sportbike of all the biker guys that meet up to go riding on Friday nights, which averages about 30-40 sportbikes every weekend. As a matter of fact, you could add up 5 or 6 of them and still not have as many miles as my one bike has

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
              There's a guy with a CBR1100XX that is in excess of 200K miles the last I heard. My bike has 33k on it, and there are several people on cbr1100xx.org that are 50k plus.

I have the highest mileage of any sportbike of all the biker guys that meet up to go riding on Friday nights, which averages about 30-40 sportbikes every weekend. As a matter of fact, you could add up 5 or 6 of them and still not have as many miles as my one bike has
              thats awesome that you've gotten that many miles not many ppl get that many miles on them.
              R.I.P. 2001 Trans Am- C5's 17" and 18", way too expensive stereo, SLP LM, WS6 hood, and more to come.
              2002 GSXR 750- PC, -1, tinted windscreen

Comment

When you find what you want, you might want to check out how much you will have to pay in insurance, before you buy the bike. Sometimes that can be a big surprise. Happy shopping
                95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

State Farm. They are a little higher on cars, but save you literally thousands on sportbikes. Anything over a 600, I'd be calling them. 1100+ is about 5-7 grand A YEAR for full coverage. State farm is more like 500 a year.

Comment

Like anything mechanical, you just have to take good care of them. I think the build quality on all of the new bikes are very good. I have a 2004 Yamaha R1 that I'm getting ready to put on the market. Here's a pic.
                    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

NORMAN you got 2 many toys lol

Comment

Originally posted by DierDesire824
                        NORMAN you got 2 many toys lol
                        Yeah, I was just wondering what Norman doesn't have

Comment

love my bike

i laid it down last week

Comment

I've been shopping also... but i think i want less then a 1000 the first time. (I have a L.E. raptor) Ive been on dirt bikes, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers ... all my life, but never had a street bike. If anyone is selling a bike closer to the West Coast PM me.
                            99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

thank you everyone your reponses have been very helpful

Comment

Working...
                              X