Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liens?

BIG PROBLEM...

When I bought my car, the guy I had bought it from had a lien on it... Well, he payed it, but I was reading through the records, and it turns out there is ANOTHER lien on it!!!!

So, I phoned the guy, and asked if he knew about this other lien, and he did sound pretty shocked, and he said he knew nothing about it.

When, we bought the car, we had got the used vehicle package, and the person at the MTO said there was 'A' lien on it. Would the MTO just show all previous loans on the car? Even if they were paid or not?

Has anyone had experience with this? This is really bad news for me... I'm in a crisis

You can try using Carfax. It shows all liens and previous liens on the car. It's a cheap enough way of getting it tracked first and foremost. From there, you can contact the previous owner and try to get it settled.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Im not sure if i remember my business law correctly but i believe that the seller of the vehicle or the bank, has to tell you about any leins on the car, your best bet is to talk to the bank that has the lein on the car, adn do the carfax to see if you can track down who the lein was originally against. They will msot likely (the bank) be willing to work with you and try adn help you work it out. It could have even been a previuos lein that is no longer valid....but i don't know. Myabe ill go read up on it adn get back here with more stuff about it.
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

If the Car had a Lien attached to it at the time of purchase then you would not have been able to get the Title. If the Lien was released and the lending institution signed the Title releasing the Lien then the prior owner paid the balance due. If you have the car and a valid Title then you shouldn't owe anyone anything and have nothing to worry about.

Who is telling you that the Car has a Lien attached to it?

Comment

well said.
          -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric 97LT4SS
            If the Car had a Lien attached to it at the time of purchase then you would not have been able to get the Title. If the Lien was released and the lending institution signed the Title releasing the Lien then the prior owner paid the balance due. If you have the car and a valid Title then you shouldn't owe anyone anything and have nothing to worry about.

Who is telling you that the Car has a Lien attached to it?

This is coming from the Used Vehicle information, that the MTO issue's out. It says that there is 2 liens. Now, I know the guy I bought it from had payed his lien (we got the used vehicle package, prior to him paying it off).

Now, both lien's were from the same bank (different branch's), and the guy I bought the car from had owned the vehicle for about 5 years. This second lien says it's from 1999. I would imagine that the bank would have came after the guy within a 5 year period, or wouldnt have even gave him a loan for a car that they were already owed money on.

I'm just nervous as to why the Used Vehicle package is showing a second lien. So, the question was, would they show all lien's 'ever' made on the vehicle? Including liens paid for?

Comment

Working...
            X