Which 1.6 rockers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 1.6 rockers?

Stock cam and don't want to replace any other components if I don't have to.
    GM maybe?

Anybody want to recommend a head gasket. Mr Gasket 5716 ok? Does using this gasket to bump the compression require any other changes?

Any reason to replace high milage lifters (160K) if they appear to be working fine?

Thanks for feedback

Sean
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comp cams Pro Mag RRs are what I would suggest. Non self aligning with GM guideplates CC chromemoly pushrods, and LT4 valve springs (or better). You will have to modify the support brackets in your valve covers. I suggest squeezing them thin, rather than cutting them out.
    If there's no need to replace the lifters, then it might be better to keep them matched with the cam. But I would replace them if you've already removed the intake and have that many miles. A good stock replacement set is Comp Cams 850-16.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I have the Comps as well....
      97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
      In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention, you might as well get the 7/16" set and new 7/16" studs. The thread is already 7/16" in the head. Although it might be overkill on a stock motor, I've felt much safer, especially when taking it beyond 5800 RPMs.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Wow. That's about $600 or more. My repair/upgrade may just turn into repair only.

Thanks a lot for the info. If you use the thinner gasket do you go to a shorter pushrod?

Thinking what to do...

Sean
          1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean 94z28
            Wow. That's about $600 or more. My repair/upgrade may just turn into repair only.

Thanks a lot for the info. If you use the thinner gasket do you go to a shorter pushrod?

Thinking what to do...

Sean
            Unless you mill the heads, you can just use a stock length 7.200" pushrod. What is the listed compressed thickness of that gasket you mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              Unless you mill the heads, you can just use a stock length 7.200" pushrod. What is the listed compressed thickness of that gasket you mentioned?
              This is the only description I got: U/S HD GSKT CHEV 350 LT1 .026"

Best priced source for these items?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sean 94z28
                This is the only description I got: U/S HD GSKT CHEV 350 LT1 .026"

Best priced source for these items?

Thanks
                Your stock static compression ratio is 10.41:1. Going with a gasket with a compressed gasket thickness of .026" will put you at 11.04:1 according to my math. That should give your motor a little extra pep!

Just remember one thing. Due to the fact that you mentioned your motor had 160k on the clock, upping your SCR can and will likely exacerbate any oil leak that you may have. (rear main, pan, timing cover, intake manifold, etc.)

Comment

If money isn't too much of an issue, I would say the $600 is worth it because if you do upgrade your cam and P&P the heads, you're set - that is, if you get a good set of springs. My excuse was for the upgrade was similar - fix the intake leak and get new springs on a high mileage motor. Kevin helped turn it into an awesome project with his great advice

Comment

I'm going to chime in here......

I'm not a real fan of major changes on a higher mileage motor. By changing the rockers and springs you are going to changing the rpm powerband slightly higher and that puts more stress on the bearings. Often times that is enough to spin a bearing on high mileage motors. In my opinion, I would just do a refresh..... maybe a new timing chain and stock springs along with whatever maintainance that is needed. My opinion is that the motor will live a longer life that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      I'm going to chime in here......

I'm not a real fan of major changes on a higher mileage motor. By changing the rockers and springs you are going to changing the rpm powerband slightly higher and that puts more stress on the bearings. Often times that is enough to spin a bearing on high mileage motors. In my opinion, I would just do a refresh..... maybe a new timing chain and stock springs along with whatever maintainance that is needed. My opinion is that the motor will live a longer life that way.

Agreed....I've had a couple of buddies who did the top end (icluding cam though, such as LT4 hotcam kit) on higher mileage LT1 and shortly after spun a bearing.
                      95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I am not sure how to reply to that Joe. I am aware of that risk. Although I am trying to up the power a bit, I don't intend to go all out. Even if I wanted to, I do not have the funds to support such an effort.

I did not have any intention of upping redline at this point in time. LE1 for the heads, retaining stock cam, and 1.6s were my only plan for now (and some mild, smog friendly, tuning to support it.). Lloyd says he has customers running something similar with pleasing results.

Basically, I can't tear it down this far (heads off) and do nothing for performance. You all know the feeling. There is also no way I can afford to go all out.

Bottom line, I am willing to risk it. Are the LT4 rockers ok? Require new studs?

Thanks again
                        Sean

Comment

I am using the LT4 rockers and like them. I didnt want guide plates so theats what I went with. They are not GM parts either I know comp cams or Crane makes them for GM.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                          6.2L/382.97 ci
                          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                          WCT-5 speed
                          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                          Boss MS 18" Rims
                          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                          Custom Dual exhaust
                          1LE upgrade
                          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                            I am using the LT4 rockers and like them.
                            Did you have to change the studs to 7/16?

thanks

Comment

No change I just ordered the 3/8" stud version.
                              12370839 Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm 1.6:1 Ratio

This part number is for the "Set" of Rockers not "single" rockers.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                              6.2L/382.97 ci
                              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                              WCT-5 speed
                              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                              Boss MS 18" Rims
                              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                              Custom Dual exhaust
                              1LE upgrade
                              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror