Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with my lights r/t my Alarm System.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my lights r/t my Alarm System.

Hey guys,

Here's my situation with my 1998 T/A. I have a Prestige "City Tuff" alarm system on my car with all the bells and whistles, installed a couple years ago. I recently, a couple weeks ago, had my headers and Borla exhaust installed along with my shift kit. Everything was relatively fine. Just last night when I lock my car up which automatically activates my alarm system my head lights slightly try to liftup a couple times a quarter ways up llike it was blinking and then when it closes, in the left light I hear this grinding sound which sound slike the gears in the light system as well. I'm worried if the heat build up from the new headers would have possibly affected the alarm system and connection to the lighting system. I guess I'll have to take a close look at the gearing in the headlight gears as well.
    Any ideas or experiences? What would you guys do? Easy fix?
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

very sorry for replying late, my acount was just activated. the problem is not with your alarm. when GM made the headlight motor they put in a cheap nylon gear inside, when a tooth breaks off it causes the action youve described. you can fix the problem for free by taking apart the headlight motor, the gear isnt very big but youll see it, and flipping it over. you see the gear only uses half of itself, turning it so the "new" half is being used will solve your problem. to premanatly fix this, do a quick google search for brass headlight gears, i believe there 80$ and it will be permantly fixed. i hope this gets to you in time and you havent spent a few hundred at the dealership for them to replace your motor.

for those who think that this makes no logical sense, simply do a search on it. ive also had to turn my gears as well. it really works. there is a website that sells these gears and also shows you how to flip them yourself and expalins why this god awful grinding noise is happening.

good luck!

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
    www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

I've already flipped my driver's side headlight gear also...it works.

It's a very common problem, and the reason why it does this is because power is sent to the motor about an additional 5 seconds or so after your lights come up or down. Just flip it and all should be good
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
      X