Exhaust/ resonator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust/ resonator

Me and my friend are having a argument. I have magnaflow cat back exhaust. And he has a resonator tip. He claims that the his resonator tip will give him more horsepower than my exhaust. He has the worst possible resonator u could buy. I think he got it from a junk yard or somthing it looks horrible.

Ps. He also has strong feelings for men. I think u can figure out what i am saying.

I was wondering what do u guys think?

Re: Exhaust/ resonator

Originally posted by gmrules1607
    Me and my friend are having a argument. I have magnaflow cat back exhaust. And he has a resonator. He claims that the resonator give more horsepower than my exhaust.

I was wondering what do u guys think?
    mufflers and resonators dont "make horsepower". the "flow" of the exhaust .......ie: less restriction creates a little more HP.

a resonator is a straight thru design with no baffles. a muffler uses chambers, although some, like the slp "two-on-the-left" was straight thru.......and used perferated walls to help quiet the exhaust.

the size of the intermediate pipe plays a major role in allowing more hp to be produced........

given two identicle engines, with identicle IM size and tp sizes... and identicle routing configuration, a resonator will allow more hp.', especialy on the high rpm side.

i.e: the slp "Loudmouth" system.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

hey Ken--do most of teh popular cat back systems come with teh intermediate pipe or not?
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
        hey Ken--do most of teh popular cat back systems come with teh intermediate pipe or not?

It can't be called a "cat-back system" if it doesnt include the intermediate pipe. If it doesn't its just a muffler with tips.

The larger intermediate pipe is where most of the HP is gained.

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird
        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

From what I've read it seems that a 3" intermediate pipe is sufficient for most people. Unless you plan on going all out 3" is good size for intermediate pipe. Stock pipe is 2.75" I believe. 2.5" for V6 cars.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

so if a resinator gives u more hp then why wouldnt evry one just get one of those, since they sell them at like meijers and stuff? is a full exhaust system better for ur car?

Comment

I think you are talking about different things.

When you say Resonator are you meaning just a resonator tip, like an exhaust tip to change the sound of the exhaust.

Because the resonator they are talking about is on the SLP Loudmouth cat-back. It has a 3" intermediate pipe w/ an inline resonator (instead of a muffler) which then goes over the rear axle an splits off to dual tips!

A catback system will give you a HP boost, a resonator tip is worthless!
              99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
              93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

ya thats what we were talking about, sorry about the confusion, but that helps us out a lot. thanx man

Comment

Originally posted by FRMLAV8
                  , a resonator tip is worthless!
                  dissagree!

you can make 14.8 beer cans out of one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

LOL, LOL, Oh stop it Ken my side hurts. I... hehehe....can't....hehehe...stop laughing!! hahaha

Kerm you are so hilarious
                    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Working...
                    X