aggg exhaust manifold bolt snaped in head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aggg exhaust manifold bolt snaped in head

help one of my exhaust manifold bolts has snaped off in the head while i was driving? it is the very rearmost bolt on the left hand bank by the stering collom any susgestions on removing the broken bolt with out removing the head ?
    http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
    C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
    mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Well, you'll need to remove the Y pipe and exhaust manifold. Using a remote drill adapter, drill into the broken bolt and extract it using an easy out. If that fails, you can completely drill it out and tap new threads. I'm curious as to how a bolt snaps off without having torque applied.

Comment

lt-1s are notorious for this...Be very careful...A buddy had this happen on his iron head and struggled to get it out. He ended up wrecking his head and having to buy a used one. A lil heat around the area could help but aluminum disipates it quickly so keep that in mind. Good luck...
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        I'm curious as to how a bolt snaps off without having torque applied.
        i am not sure my self i have never removed the bolts and the exhaust system is not loose anywhere. if i was to leave the manifold on and use a drill bit the same size as the bolt hole this would find the center of the broken bolt would it not and make it easer once the manifolds are removed?
        http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
        C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

Comment

I suppose you could do it that way, but clearance is going to be tight. Not only that, you want to use a smaller bit that the bolt so that an extractor can screw into the bolt and back it out from the head. Only if that fails do you want to drill out the bolt. The driver's side manifold is fairly easy to remove, there is better clearance than the passenger side.

Comment

Mine broke to except on passenger side. If you can extract with the heads on you are a better man than me. Although there is much more room on driver side than passenger. There is just no clearance to work on it. I even have access to a big $$ machine shop and had my friend build a "fixture" to align the drill bit and keep it from moving. Still no luck.

The solution: some headers on the market use the bolt hole adjacent to the broken one. SLP CARB legal shorties for one. This option is good if the bolt is flush or recessed into the head.

Let us know how it goes.

Sean
            1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Well, you'll need to remove the Y pipe and exhaust manifold. Using a remote drill adapter, drill into the broken bolt and extract it using an easy out. If that fails, you can completely drill it out and tap new threads. I'm curious as to how a bolt snaps off without having torque applied.
              Do it like Joe said. If you get the manifold off, then you should have the clearance you need. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

how much damage will it do if i dont replace the broken bolt asap ? this is my only car and i need it for work ps what is a remote drill adapter ?

Comment

For the short term, you should be OK. I wouldn't leave it forever. A drill adapter is a 90 degree adapter that you use on a regular drill.

Good Luck.
                  2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                  1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                  2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                  2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                  2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

it gets worse now the very front one has come out it came out in one but i have now lost two of the collers that go over the bolts any one know where i can get some replacements dont forget i am in the uk

Comment

how much of the bolt is showing?
                      97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
                      In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtow
                        it gets worse now the very front one has come out it came out in one but i have now lost two of the collers that go over the bolts any one know where i can get some replacements dont forget i am in the uk
                        If you can't find any, I have some left over from when I swapped to headers.... I could ups them to you.

Comment

it must be catching three posts all about broken manifold bolts or blowing gaskets. thanks joe i will pm you if i need them

Comment

Working...
                          X