Got my 4" mufflex exhaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 4" mufflex exhaust

And a big thanks to Uncle Fred. LOL! He had removed it to go a different route...... after hounding him for at least a year, it finally arrived. Dayum....... It is as big as a sewer pipe! It's going to be a really tight fit around the panhard mount. No doubt that it is going to flow really well. I'm also going to like the stealth tip. I have been wanting to lose the exhaust tips for some time now. I happen to like the T/A bumper with the simulated tunnel exits..... it looks trick when they aren't filled up with exhaust tips. Now I've just got to install it.

I think a soundclip is in order!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      I think a soundclip is in order!
      I second the motion. All in favor, as "Eeeeeeyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" lol
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Some pics from its past life.... unfortunately I had to hack the IM pipe in 1/2 on the part that kicks up in front of the axle to get it off the car. Denny at Mufflex had fully welded everything when he installed it.

The tubing is super thick, as is the shell of the Flowmaster.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

That body brace is in the way, even with my Borla exhaust. I tried modifying (bending) it up a bit the way Fred did in his picture, but it has very little clearance, and I can't get it off cause the bolts are facing the wrong way to remove it without a lot of trouble. But what these exhausts really need is to have that brace sectioned & reinforced on the bottom side in the area where the exhaust passes over so If I ever take it apart, that's what I'm going to do. And Joe should do that when his exhaust is out of the car and before he puts the Mufflex in.

Comment

My thoughts were to replace it with a unit designed for increased clearance.....

This kit replaces the upper panhard rod support and relocates the panhard rod allowing enough room for up to dual 3" exhaust routing over the axle. Heavy duty tubular upper panhard rod support mounts in the original panhard rod location. New heavy duty brackets bolt to existing mounting holes and lower the panhard rod while maintaining the correct geometry. No welding or drilling required. Available standard in your color choice of red or black powdercoat, additional colors also available by special order. PHR004K $219.95

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
              That body brace is in the way, even with my Borla exhaust. I tried modifying (bending) it up a bit the way Fred did in his picture, but it has very little clearance, and I can't get it off cause the bolts are facing the wrong way to remove it without a lot of trouble. But what these exhausts really need is to have that brace sectioned & reinforced on the bottom side in the area where the exhaust passes over so If I ever take it apart, that's what I'm going to do. And Joe should do that when his exhaust is out of the car and before he puts the Mufflex in.
              I didn't modify anything.... that's a 100% stock panhard rod brace.

The exhuast is wedged in there nice and tight, no way it can rattle.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Joe - Thanks - I'm getting one of those after you tell me how good it fits. BTW, who you buying it from?

Fred - my mistake - it looked like it was a little bent up in the area closest to the pipe - I just assumes you massaged it a little bit. In taking a closer look at your picture - Did you wheelie your car and scratch the under part of the rear valence?

Comment

Joe - Thanks - I'm getting one of those after you tell me how good it fits. BTW, who you buying it from?

Fred - my mistake - it looked like it was a little bent up in the area closest to the pipe - I just assumes you massaged it a little bit.
                  I just wanted to be clear on the fact the panhard rod brace was "stock".... since I told that to Joe when we were discussing the Mufflex system.
                  In taking a closer look at your picture - Did you wheelie your car and scratch the under part of the rear valence?
                  Don't I wish.... .

When the car was at Second Street, after the engine was installed, they loaded it on a flatbed, and trucked it down to Mufflex. I went down to Mufflex to check it when it was being put up on the lift, and there were what appear to be scratches in the bumper. I guess they must have bottomed the bumper out when they were putting it on the flatbed. The picture above was taken when they were installing the Mufflex. It has since been buffed out and the scratches are a little less visible.

Fred

Comment

Oh great.....I'm the Guinea Pig. Since BMR is just around the corner from me, I was tempted to swing by there and see what it really looks like. If I can get it direct from them, that's fine. If not, I would probably order it from Mike at Stealth Performance.....He's always done me right.

Comment

Thanks - Before, you listed the part number, I didn't see the manfuacturer

Comment

Thanks - Before, you listed the part number, I didn't see the manfuacturer
                        oops.... I forgot to add that to the post. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                          I didn't modify anything.... that's a 100% stock panhard rod brace.

The exhuast is wedged in there nice and tight, no way it can rattle.

Fred, it can't be unmodified. Maybe you didn't modify it, but someone must have. I spent the last couple hours trying to get it in there. I even removed the panhard rod and brace first. The brace will not bolt back up without modification. Since I don't want to flatten the brace and box it, I'll have to get the relocation kit.

Murphy's law of high performance:

Bolt on parts don't bolt on without reworking something else.

Comment

I watched them put it in and weld it up. Nothing was changed, and I've owned the car since it was new.

Does your brace have the "flat" part like mine shows in the picture? If you want to swap braces, we can. I've been thinking of removing mine completely.
                            Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                              I watched them put it in and weld it up. Nothing was changed, and I've owned the car since it was new.

Does your brace have the "flat" part like mine shows in the picture? If you want to swap braces, we can. I've been thinking of removing mine completely.
                              Fred, I'm not that bent. LOL! pun intended. Seriously though, it appears as though yours is bent at a slightly different angle. In the pic that shows your header mufflers, the panhard brace appears to have a different contour starting from where the heat shield is attached and that would make a difference. I could probably recontour the brace, but I certainly wouldn't remove it totally. The panhard mounts don't look sturdy enough to handle any heavy side loads without bending or breaking off. Perhaps there was even a slight change over the years. Later today I think I'll compare the brace to the one in my 93 and see if they are the same. If not, I'll swap them and see what happens. That BMR part looks like just the ticket, but at just over $200 I really question it's value.

Comment

Working...
                              X