Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996-1997 Trans Am WS6 Question! SLP Build #'s????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996-1997 Trans Am WS6 Question! SLP Build #'s????

Hello all,

I understand that in 1996-1997 SLP modified the Pontiac Trans Am with the WS6 package. I also understand the cars went to ASC from 98-2002.

My question is this...

Is their anyway to get a build number from SLP or GM?

I was able to obtain a build "date" from Pontiac, but not a build #.
    I also tried to contact SLP and they only kept records for Firehawks & SS's... even though they did mod the car.

Anyone else ever tried to find a build number for a 96 or 97 WS6??

***I'm also looking for Pontiac Trans Am production numbers for 1997 if anyone has access to that!****

Thanks!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

I wish I could get a build # for my WS6 Formula, and how many they built with cloth seats. I've only found like 6 or 7 so far in 5 years of searching.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

total firebird production for 1997 was 30,756

firebird 16,394
      firebird conv 1,226
      formula 2,766*
      formula conv 324
      trans am 8,656
      trans am conv 1,390

*formula production included 14 1LE WS-6 formulas and 29 Firehawks
      WS-6 breakdown was as follows:
      formula WS-6 473
      formula conv WS-6 41
      trans am WS-6 2,827
      trans am conv WS-6 463
      2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
      SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
      Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
      http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickbird
        total firebird production for 1997 was 30,756

firebird 16,394
        firebird conv 1,226
        formula 2,766*
        formula conv 324
        trans am 8,656
        trans am conv 1,390

*formula production included 14 1LE WS-6 formulas and 29 Firehawks
        WS-6 breakdown was as follows:
        formula WS-6 473
        formula conv WS-6 41
        trans am WS-6 2,827
        trans am conv WS-6 463

Wow thanks!! Too bad we can't get a break down by options.... I'd love to know how many TA's were built with the exact same options mine has.....
        370 RWHP / 352 TQ
        CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

The 97s had no build numbers SLp didnt put a sticker on them like the Hawks ans SS. So we are out of luck. I spent about a year trying to get a build number or build breakdown.
          1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
          1 of 463
          LT4 knock module
          D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
          strut tower brace
          SLP fan switch
          160* t/stat
          Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
          DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by BadWS6
            The 97s had no build numbers SLp didnt put a sticker on them like the Hawks ans SS. So we are out of luck. I spent about a year trying to get a build number or build breakdown.
            Man that does suck. Especially since SLP modified them... you'd think they'd keep a record.
            370 RWHP / 352 TQ

Comment

I could go one, but it's unfortunate that we 96 - 97 WS6 owners have become the bastard children of SLP. From what I can gather, SLP and GM had a bit of a falling out when they pulled the Tier 1 contract and went to ASC. You'll be hard pressed to find, anywhere, on SLP's site that they built the 96 - 97 cars. It's almost like it's a chapter they wish to forget.

It still bums me out...Dave's a good guy though. Just seems to be a sore spot with SLP...
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe I should get a license plate frame that says

"SLP's red headed step child"

LOL
                1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                1 of 463
                LT4 knock module
                strut tower brace
                SLP fan switch
                160* t/stat

Pictures Here

Comment

Actually, back when SLP had their forum, somebody did give out build #s for the 96-97 WS6's. I gave them my VIN and he came back with a build # for my 96 WS6.

Can't tell you who it was because it was so long ago. But they did at least have, at one time, the info. Mine came back as #2637, which didn't make any sense to me as they didn't even build that many. But when asked, they assured me that was the number. So who knows
                  Rob
                  04 GTO

Comment

I talked to jeffy From GM and someone else from SLP managment (forgot who) on the SLP board and build numbers as far as they knew were not avaliable and no records kept for the 97s
                    1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                    1 of 463
                    LT4 knock module
                    strut tower brace
                    SLP fan switch
                    160* t/stat

Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by BadWS6
                      I talked to jeffy From GM and someone else from SLP managment (forgot who) on the SLP board and build numbers as far as they knew were not avaliable and no records kept for the 97s
                      I'm going to keep digging anyway... we'll see what dead end I'll hit.... I'm emailing SLP back & forth right now... I'll post their reply when I get it....
                      370 RWHP / 352 TQ

Comment

Good Luck... if you have any sucess I will be next in line for info
                        1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                        1 of 463
                        LT4 knock module
                        strut tower brace
                        SLP fan switch
                        160* t/stat

Pictures Here

Comment

Total production numbers for 1997
                          ************************************************** ***********************************
                          Firebird 16,394
                          Firebird convertible 1,226
                          Formula 2,766
                          1LE WS6 14

Formula WS6 473
                          Firehawks 29

Formula Convertible 324
                          Formula Conv. WS6 41

Trans Am 8,656
                          Trans Am WS6 2,827

Trans Am Convertibles 1,390
                          Trans Am Conv. WS6 463
                          ************************************************** ***********************************
                          Total Production 30,756

Tips to understanding your vehicles serial (VIN) number

They are as follows:

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured. For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Chevrolet(1), General Motors(G), Pontiac(2or5).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T), 1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

if you need more let me know

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
                          www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Working...
                          X