Flushing the transmission?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing the transmission?

Is their any way to flush an automatic transmission? I mean flush all the fluid, toque converter and all. I was told one way of doing it is just pull the tranny cooling line off the radiator and let the fluid come out while the engine is running. But how safe is this for the transmission?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

There is equipment that shops use to flush out transmissions. What it does is it pumps new fluid into the transmission while forcing the old stuff out. I believe this is done without having to turn on the car. I dont know about that other method you mentioned though. I would take it to a shop to have it done if it were me.
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

At our shop we actually reccomend against flushing the tranny. The grit in it actually helps the tranny grip better.
      They're not scratches, they're character marks

Comment

Originally posted by JOSH 2000 V8 RAM
        At our shop we actually reccomend against flushing the tranny. The grit in it actually helps the tranny grip better.
        Thats odd I'd think it would eventually be abrasive to all the internal components. There might be some stuff to add to thicken the fluid for 'better grip' but that may put too much pressure in the trans.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH95Formula
          Thats odd I'd think it would eventually be abrasive to all the internal components. There might be some stuff to add to thicken the fluid for 'better grip' but that may put too much pressure in the trans.
          I've heard that flushing the tranny in transmissions with higher miles is a bad idea and only makes your tranny worse. I'm not exactly sure what would cause this or why, but just something I've heard time and time again.
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

nope we do it all the time and add lucas tranny treatment. drove a car be4 we did that and it would slip a lil into 2nd gear, we flushed it(it was a chevy astro van with 154K on it) and put the lucas and fluid in, drove it again, it almost shift like brand new.

and im pretty sure u dont want the filter to get plugged with all the lil metal shavins and stuff
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The way it is done is the trans cooler lines are disconnected and hooked up to a power flush machine. Fluid is drawn out from one line and fresh fluid is pumped into the other. A complete change of fluid. The machine is disconnected and the cooler lines reattached.

Comment

I would have to agree that it is not a good idea to flush a high mileage tranny. It may help it to shift for a while, but it will cause problems down the road. The only way to get ALL the old fluid out of the converter is to remove it.

Comment

The downhome way is to drain the pan, change the filter and refill it with a gallon too much. then disconnect the return line and run the car to get the rest of the old stuff out and at the same time dumping more into the fill tube. It has about 3 gallons in there so that's how much you need out of there total or until the color is pink and clean. This is safe as long as you don't run it dry. Then check the level and top it off. Best done with a helper cause you got a few things goin on all at once, but I have done it alone with no prob. Don't overfill it, especially if you don't have a pan with a drain plug. This isn't the same as a power flush & shouldn't stir up any sediment to get in the valves, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X