Just got my Zaino!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my Zaino!

First time with the Zaino - I did the clay bar, then washed with dish soap. I put the first 2 coats of Z2 on with Z6 in between and then it started to rain. So its now in the garage a its final coats. Looks good so far.
    How many coats are you guys putting on?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

As many as humanly possible

I've lost count after using Zaino for over 7yrs. I get TONS of compliments on my 11yr old paint job.

Enjoy it broh, nothing else touches any of my vehicles.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I have roughly 50 coats. I think Ken is the reigning champ with over 75. I parked mine next to a used '02 Black WS6 the other day, the salesman swore that my car had a custom paintjob as it made the one on his lot look sad. 124K daily driven miles and looks better than new.

Comment

So you guys dont strip it off with dish detergent before you do the zaino system again. You just keep putting on coat after coat? That seems so odd, because with a regular wax, thats a no no.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Do you have to do something with it (strip it) if you decide or have to repaint it?
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

75 coats of anything is ridiculous. The only reason a car would look good after 75 coats is because the car was rubbed all over 75 times (or 150 times if you count taking it back off), which is bound to smooth the finish out , don't you think?

Comment

Zaino isn't wax, it is polish!

The difference is that wax contains carnuba or silica's. Each coat you apply removes the coat before it.

Zaino is polish - no abrasives - so each coat stacks on top of the one before it. The more coats the deeper and glossier the finish becomes. That is why there is a certian procedure to using Zaino.

That is why you must clay bar, and wash with dawn, before you start using Zaino. If you leave bugs, tar, water spots on the car when you start using Zaino they will be "preserved" under the coats of polish. That is also why you want to take your time on the first coat and make sure you do all the prep work.

Randy
              99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
              93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

so once the prep is done, you dont have to do it again? Just keep stacking coats?

Comment

From Sal's website:

Zaino Show Car Polish is designed to be layered. With each layer you apply, your car's paint looks better and feels smoother. Depth, gloss and clarity improve with each coat.

Like all other polymer based polish and protection systems, Zaino Show Car Polish must cure before applying subsequent coats. The curing process allows the polymer chains to cross-link, building strength and durability. If the the polymer strands have not cross-linked (cured), applying a fresh coat of polish will not achieve the optimum layered result. Consequently, creating a show car finish can be a long process of applying a layer, , and applying another layer.

Note: ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive should be used with Zaino Show Car Polish (Z-2 or Z-5, Z-3 for non clear coated) twice a year on an everyday car and once a year on a show car. Also, please reapply ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive after every ten coats of Zaino polish(Z-2 or Z-5, Z-3 for non clear coated). ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive will never remove Zaino. Also the NEW ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive is an incredible product and could be used as often as you like... it's up to you. It will tighten up and strengthen the polish system and increase the gloss.

I've been using the stuff since 97 and I can tell you this........ The car looks outstanding. Even when my stupid ex-wife backed into another car, the other car's paint that was left on the bumper came right off. NO Scratches. Just a spider web from the flexing of the urethane bumper cover. Zaino offers incredible protection. Not to mention a deep and wet looking shine that makes my factory paint look like a custom job. Just the other day I pulled up next to a used black '02 Ram Air at the local dealer. The salesman swore that my paint was a custom job. The one on the lot looked like crap compared to mine. Actually, the one on the lot wasn't bad..... mine just looked that much better and I've got 125K miles, and it sat outside every day for 5 years. My GN.... people swear it has a clear coat, it doesn't. Zaino builds up in layers so that whenever surface scratches do happen, it happens in the Zaion and not the paint. Another coat of Zaino fills it right in. Whether 75 coats is overkill or not, if my car looks this good, so be it. There is zero fading, no swirls, and a wet looking gloss that leaves people drooling. Even these dreaded Florida love bugs haven't harmed the paint and they contain an acid in their blood that when left on the paint, eat right through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    I have roughly 50 coats. I think Ken is the reigning champ with over 75. I parked mine next to a used '02 Black WS6 the other day, the salesman swore that my car had a custom paintjob as it made the one on his lot look sad. 124K daily driven miles and looks better than new.
                    ya can never get too much Zaino!!......I believe Ken is in triple digits on his and Mary's f-bods
                    DWS
                    Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

One more time, what ever happens if you have to re-paint the car?

Do you have to remove the Zaino coats or can you just paint over it?

Anybody has some insight or experience?
                      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

If you have the car repainted the paint on the piece to be repainted should be completely stripped and refinished. The refinishing process is really where the quality of a good paint job is based.

Maybe your asking about painting of racing stripes?

In short, yes the Zaino will need to be stripped for a paint job, but so would any tipe of polish or wax.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD
                        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Thanks, I was talking about repainting the whole car or parts of it.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The expert on paint would be Sal Zaino. I believe he has a board at www.zainobros.com
                            Joe K.
                            '11 BMW 328i
                            '10 Matrix S AWD
                            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

In order to remove it, wipe it down several times with rubbing alcohol, then a final wash with dawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X