Sagging Head Liner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagging Head Liner

Since I have replaced basically every part imaginable under my hood including my engine I've had my car on the road 2 days and its gotten hit at work (luckily very minor and buffed right out) and I got in this morning leaving and noticed something touching my head I'm 6'4 and don't have much head room to start with. I reached up and relized my headliner is sagging on the drivers side. Is there anything I can do to fix it. Will heating it with a hair dryer work? If its not a simple fix are they reparable by a professional or do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a whole new head liner? I'm not sure why but a sagging headliner in a vehicle is my biggest petpieve I could sit in an 800 horsepower car with everything else perfect and notice one small sag in the headliner and think the car is junk there is no way I can drive around like this for long. Also am I allowed to call my car atleast a 2003 since I have replaced nearly every part since buying it .
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Once they start degrading, there is no fix except replacement.

Comment

Yup, your probobly going to need to replace it, but if you have t-tops it doesnt cost nearly as much as if it were a hardtop.
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

I have dealt with sagging headliners for years with my 78 Grand LeMans... best bet is to get it replaced... I have tried various premium contact glues that claim to hold up, but in the end they all failed and I had the headliners sagging on top of my head, annoying me more than Roseanne Barr singing the national anthem at a super bowl. I tried the cheap way (fix myself) but in the end the only real cure is replacement good luck
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Once they start degrading, there is no fix except replacement.
          I disagree. I used a staple gun to re-attach the headliner in my old Grand Prix...
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

My dad repaired the headliner in his 83 Hurst/Olds. The key is to buy new fabric and use the proper adhesive. The fabric is foam backed and you can find it at many fabric stores. I think my dad got his at JoAnn Fabrics. The color matched perfectly and it had the foam backing. He simply removed the old foam and cloth from the headliner, coated the template with adhesive and put the new stuff on.

If you try to just glue up the old fabric it will not last long before it falls down again.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

or just get some color match thumb tacks those hold it up, it worked in my bros old beretta

i just replaced mine cuz of the ttops with a ABS headliner and love it
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I would recommend replacing it. I decided to pull the headliner out of my son’s 97 T-Top Firebird last week, and recover it. I knew that it would be fairly easy to pull out, so I wasn’t too concerned. What I didn’t realize was that it was not made out of the masonite-like board material that I thought that it would be made out of. Instead, I found that it was made out of pressed and formed fiberglass insulation. It developed several cracks in it during the process of removal from the car and the removal of the material. I spent basically the whole week gluing some cheap stretchy type material over the weak and broken areas, and also sealing the whole thing with glue. Originally I had wanted to recover it with some vinyl that I found at the fabric shop, that matches his neutral colored interior. I decided that it wouldn’t work because it would require too much stretching to make it fit, and the headliner is too fragile to be able to do that. Also, there are a lot of imperfections in the headliner’s surface, that would ultimately show up in the thin vinyl. So, I bought some headliner material from the fabric shop, that has a fairly thick foam backing, which could hide the imperfections. Well, the glue (wood glue) that I used to strengthen the headliner worked pretty good, and I went ahead with putting the headliner material on with spray on contact adhesive. Everything was going great except in the inside corners where it curves to fit the T-Top shape at the roof of the car. Even though this stuff is very flexible, it just didn’t want to stretch enough to fit the corners. I realized afterwards, that if I had run the grain of the material the other way, the long way, it probably would have stretched easily. So, I guess I am going to try to do it again. The Headliner material was about $10.00, so it wasn’t very expensive. Although, I have spent a good bit more on the project than I had planned, because of buying the vinyl at first, and several different glues to try to seal the headliner with. It is doable, , but it will take time, and without all of the trial and error expense, it could be done with fairly little expense. The main thing to remember, is that the contact spray adhesive sticks better if you seal the headliner board first.

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

Um, yeah..... what the guy above me said.

Comment

Looks like I'll be getting a new one for my car. If I found a used one in good shape would that be alright or is that to much of a risk because of the fiberglass backing cracking.
                    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                      Looks like I'll be getting a new one for my car. If I found a used one in good shape would that be alright or is that to much of a risk because of the fiberglass backing cracking.
                      I had a used one shipped in to me when I was building up a 94 Camaro. While it worked fine, I still had to do some reinforcing with duct tape on the backside.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        My dad repaired the headliner in his 83 Hurst/Olds. The key is to buy new fabric and use the proper adhesive. The fabric is foam backed and you can find it at many fabric stores. I think my dad got his at JoAnn Fabrics. The color matched perfectly and it had the foam backing. He simply removed the old foam and cloth from the headliner, coated the template with adhesive and put the new stuff on.

If you try to just glue up the old fabric it will not last long before it falls down again.
                        Tracy is right. You have to buy new fabric and then it can be adhered to the headliner shell. 3M makes an aerosol adhesive that absolutely rocks. It is called Super 77 or Super 99. Wal Mart or most parts stores carry it. It will permantly attach the new fabric. I've done some custom interior jobs on friends vehicles with the 99, and it doesn't budge....ever.

Comment

If you don't want to mess with it, most interior shops will do it for you. I used to do them at the shop I used to work at, and it's not that difficult. Once they start sagging, it is easy to replace them. The hardest part is getting it out of the car, but considering how small the one is in an f-body, even that's not a big deal. You ought to try doing one in a van or Suburban. About the only thing you can leave in is the seats
                          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                            Make sure that you can look at it first. If you buy one off of Ebay, etc. you may end up with someone else's junk. Some of those people on Ebay will tell you anything, to make a sell. If you find one in good enough shape, with no cracks in it, you can strengthen it, before installing it, by using the wood glue as I mentioned. Just pour it on the back side of the headliner and spread it with a bondo spreader. It spreads and seals really well, and it does strengthen it substantially after drying. Make sure that you don't get any glue on the front side of the headliner. If you do, wipe it off immediately with a damp cloth. If you buy a new one from the dealer, you may want to remove it from the box before leaving the dealership to make sure that it was not damaged in shipment. They are very fragile.

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

I think I'm going to take it down and try putting on new material. I have a coupe and am not sure how it will turn out so I may end up just buying a new one, when it comes to working on cars interiors seem to be my weak point I honestly think I had an easier time installing my new engine over putting in my new dash and thats not an exageration.

Comment

Working...
                              X