160 degree thermostat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 degree thermostat

I installed a 160 degree thermostat in anticipation of getting a tune from PCM4less. Is there any problem with me running this thermostat with my stock PCM until I get it reprogrammed?

Also, what is your opinion of getting the "firmer shifts" programmed with the PCM4less tune? Does this have any negative inpact on my tranny? Thanks!
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

No problem at all with running the 160 stat with stock programming. The "firmer" shifts actually just raise the overall line pressure and decrease the clutch engagement lag. This is actually a good thing for clutch longevity.

Comment

Like FastTA said the thermostat won't hurt a thing but your only going to notice the affects of it while driving and not sitting because of the stock fan temp coming on so high until the fans are programmed. Make sure you have him set the fans to come on atleast a few degrees higher than what your thermostat is set at so your fans don't run all the time.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
        Like FastTA said the thermostat won't hurt a thing but your only going to notice the affects of it while driving and not sitting because of the stock fan temp coming on so high until the fans are programmed. Make sure you have him set the fans to come on atleast a few degrees higher than what your thermostat is set at so your fans don't run all the time.
        Not neccasarily true. He will still see slightly lower coolant temps sitting, but yes, it will benefit him to have the fan's kick on temp re-set. Along time ago, I put in a Hypertech 160 stat with the fans set at the stock 226/235and it significantly lowered my operating temps. Then we used the HPP3 to lower the fan's kick on point to 185/195 and it RARELY ran over 167-170° F.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          Not neccasarily true. He will still see slightly lower coolant temps sitting, but yes, it will benefit him to have the fan's kick on temp re-set. Along time ago, I put in a Hypertech 160 stat with the fans set at the stock 226/235and it significantly lowered my operating temps. Then we used the HPP3 to lower the fan's kick on point to 185/195 and it RARELY ran over 167-170° F.
          Could you go into more detail please. I always thought that even if you put in a cooler thermostat it would still reach the same temp when its sitting still because its not going to have air going through the radiator and cooling it off. I could understand it taking a little longer to reach the max temperature but why will it be slightly cooler?
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

you live in PA? i personally wouldnt do a 160 there, id go 180. its not a good idea to run that car in 35* weather or colder with a 160 thermo. i bought mine with one and was going to take it out, but then we got orders to vegas.

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
            www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Originally posted by brynnda
              its not a good idea to run that car in 35* weather or colder with a 160 thermo.
              PA winters do blow. My car goes into hybernation for the winter tucked under the car cover in the garage from November till March; so not much chance of the cold being a problem. Good point though, moving to Vegas solves the winter blues.
              2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
              buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
              Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

Originally posted by brynnda
                you live in PA? i personally wouldnt do a 160 there, id go 180. its not a good idea to run that car in 35* weather or colder with a 160 thermo. i bought mine with one and was going to take it out, but then we got orders to vegas.
                I've run my car two PA winters now with a 160 degree thermostat and the only problem I've run into was I had to flush out my heater core to get good heat but other than that I haven't had a problem.

Comment

the 160 thermostat likes to run near 180 and on vettes its 5* cooler (175*) (as I was told) (my friend set the fans at 185 (low) and 205 (high) (I think those are the #'s so that the fans are not always on while on the highway).

As far as I can tell the cars blows hot air just as normal

Just that I feel that 3000 miles changes are a must now as the oil may not boil off all the water, at operating temps, in the oil as the temps are lower. I feel that the 160 will cause the oil to foul slightly faster. Something to keep in mind
                  Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                  Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                  pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                    Could you go into more detail please. I always thought that even if you put in a cooler thermostat it would still reach the same temp when its sitting still because its not going to have air going through the radiator and cooling it off. I could understand it taking a little longer to reach the max temperature but why will it be slightly cooler?
                    The lower temp stat will allow the water pump to operate more efficiently independent of the fans. Even with the heads receiving coolant first, it still will cool slightly better with the stock fan temps.

Comment

Working...
                    X