correct backspacing on zr1 rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct backspacing on zr1 rims

I'm ordering some zr1's 17x9 1/2 and 17x11. I was wondering why they have 2 backspacings. Is it becasue verts are different than hard/t-top. Anyhqays what is right for a 96 with t-tops.

You need the Grand Sport offset for the 17x11 - 50mm.

Comment

No.... its because the ZR1 Corvettes used the smaller offset wheel, which would have stuck outside the body. They made the rear fenders of the ZR1 wider to accomodate the smaller offset.

The wheels were also used on the 1996 Grand Sport option, but rather than have to build all the Grand Sport C4's with the wider rear fenders, GM made the offset on the wheels larger, and then used small "add-on" eyebrows at the top of the fender so that the wheels were not ("technically") outside the body.

The offset/backspace has nothing to do with the F-Body.

You need the 17x9.5 56mm offset in the front, and the 17x11 50mm offset in the back. You may have to hammer the inner fenders, cut the protruding corners off the jounce bumper brackets and recenter the body over the axle with an adjustable panhard rod. I had to do all three... some people claim they had to do of those.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        ...You may have to hammer the inner fenders, cut the protruding corners off the jounce bumper brackets and recenter the body over the axle with an adjustable panhard rod. I had to do all three... some people claim they had to do of those.
        I had to do all 3 as well.

Comment

Working...
        X