Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest trip to drag strip.....good and bad.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest trip to drag strip.....good and bad.

Well, the bad news is that I bumped the nitrous up to 150 shot (from my original 100 shot) and it is too much for the fuel system to handle. The fuel pressure safety switch was cutting the power to the nitrous.

On the good note, when I rejetted back to the 100 shot, I ran an 11.6 with a 1.6 sixty footer. It was hotter and more humid any other day Ive ever raced....probably low 90's and so humid, you can see the moisture in the air. I am continuing to chisel my 60' times, so that made up for the lack of power. I love this 12 bolt and slicks.

My second run of the day I had to back out because the rear end was getting squirrely at the end of the track (at about 115 mph ). That was the scariest drag racing moment for me!

So, i gotta come up with some ideas for upgrading the fuel system!
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
    Well, the bad news is that I bumped the nitrous up to 150 shot (from my original 100 shot) and it is too much for the fuel system to handle. The fuel pressure safety switch was cutting the power to the nitrous.

So, i gotta come up with some ideas for upgrading the fuel system!
    You and me both per that previous post about fuel pumps. I think the fuel lines are Ok because it all works with the T-Rex pump that is working as a booster, but I would really like for the in-tank pump to be enough for the car. I don't leave the booster on all the time cause I don't want it to burn out, but that causes problems when I nail it I better have it turned on then. I'm either going to activate the booster pump by throttle position or get a bigger in-tank pump and hope it works through the stock fuel lines.

I'm really dissapointed with that goofy Racetronix pump especially since I upgraded the wiring harness for it all the way back with 10 gauge straight from the alternator. I might e-mail them and see what they say about the next size larger pump and whether or not it will work with the stock FP bucket or whether some kind of baffling needs to be fabbed up so the thing is always in the fuel during hard cornering, braking, etc. i know some guys just hang them on there with no bucket, but that seems chancy to me. What do you think?

Comment

Yea, after I was telling you that I thought the walbro 255 should support my 150 shot, it figures that it doesnt. I suppose you could hang the pump without the bucket, but you really gotta keep an eye on the fuel level. That bucket keeps a reserve of fuel near the pick-up, so without out it, I would agree it would be risky with a low tank.

Can you buy the t-rex booster seperately from the S/C kit? I am debating how I want to remedy my lack of fuel. I was thinking about a booster that only ran when the nitrous was armed, but I am not sure that will increase the volume enough. Ideally, a twin walbro set-up (run in parallel) would be the way to go, but it would require some fabrication. I was also questioning fuel line diameter, but you seem to think its OK, huh?
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

The fuel line might be Ok but maybe we're going to be at the limit of it soon - I've seen some numbers of how much hp the stock lines can flow, but can't remember what it is - maybe 600 or something. I know I'm OK with the additional in-line pump because that then uses the in-tank pump to feed it and it does all the work. I am seriously thinking of ripping the whole thing out and making a proper fuel system with all aftermarket stuff, but maybe I'll wait until I build an engine and do it then, or start upgrading it little by little. I'm looking for a set of spare rails to plumb with braided line even now. But, I honestly think I'm OK with the in-line pump there for the time being because it worked even before I ripped out the stock pump as long as I had it turned on. I am still at stock pressure, too, so there's a little wiggle room there. I seem to be just starting to lean out a little bit in the top end of 3rd, but that could be tuning or injectors which seem also to be around 19ms pulswidths - I think for the meantime, I am going to stay pat and make a good foolproof device to activate the second pump and also see how the methanol injection richens up my mixture and tune for that. I'm also doing a WB sensor real soon - I just welded the bung in there last week, so that will help with the tuning.

So, you can buy the same T-Rex pump and splice it in there if you want (they're available), but there are some Aeromotives that might be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
        X