gear ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear ratio

hi im debating on changeing out a set of 3.73 for 3.27 does any one know what the difference will be ?

First of all, every time you ask a question, tell as much info about your car as possible (year, engine, tranny, etc..), you'll get better answers that way. I'm assuming you have a 4th gen V8 automatic f-body.

Keep the 3.73's...better for performance. With numerically lower gears, your car won't have as much of that knock you back in your seat feel at the 3.73's because you aren't launcing as hard (Rear end gears are simply torque multiplication). Also, with numerically lower gears, you will shift out of gears at higher speeds, will get slightly better gas mileage, and will top out at a higher speed. If you do decide to swap gears, you also have to recalibrate your speedometer because it will read about 3% off to your actual speed (speedo will show a slower speed than your actual speed).

Also, I could be wrong, but I didn't think they made 3.27's for our cars...you might be thinking 3.23's, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, general thinking is.... performance = 3.73's for auto or 4.10's for manual.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

i had to read that 4 times to get it. r u sure you didnt get your numbers mixed and want to take out 3 27's and put in 3 73's?

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
      www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Originally posted by brynnda
        i had to read that 4 times to get it. r u sure you didnt get your numbers mixed and want to take out 3 27's and put in 3 73's?
        That's what I was thinking at first, or that it was a typo...but he said "3.73's for 3.27's"
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

327s?? do you mean the factory 323's that come with the performance rear axle cars?
          1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

let me be strait

ok, i own a 87 monte carlo ss 350 tpi,2004r trans full a b&m stuff,and am now going to attack the rear axel. i bought a wrecked fire bird with a brand new pois unit in it and a new ring and pinion gears the gears are 3.27.(from a freind i know. he was drunk and sold it to me for 2 more cases of beer) i have recently found out that the only thing i can use is the disk brake set up,the rest is way different (hey trial and error right)but i was just wondering what the gear difference was going to be IF i did use them.so you know i am not going to change them now that you explained it to me.

Comment

If you substitute 3.27's for your current 3.73's, it will feel like your engine was down about 13% on torque. Its gonna feel that much more sluggish when you pull away from a light, but of course you'll be able to stay in that gear to a higher MPH. Net-net is the car is going to slow down, but might get better gas mileage.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

wont work

alright fellas,
                  from what i figured out in the last few days is that the gears from the bird rear will NOT work in my monte what so ever so i now will be selling everything that i cant use if intrested in the gears lets do priviate message and strike a deal so i can get this off my lawn. lol

Comment

Working...
                  X