Front wheel bearings....bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel bearings....bad?

Hey all, just had a question. I've never really worked much on anything other than solid axle 4x4's and only really started that about 3-4 years ago. So I'm still really green when it comes to working on cars. But one thing I noticed about my 93 TA has me wondering...
    It's a 93 TA, 6 speed, with about 100K miles on it, and otherwise runs great. It has a vibe problem like always, and I had the driveshaft rebalanced, realignment, etc. etc. All has been done to "correct" the vibe. The car also seems to wander alot on road and the alignment can never been sorted out. It always seems to pull one way. But the real problem is when I reverse out of my driveway, and crank the wheel as I reverse, the front end seems to "skip", almost as though it's being turned on a bunch of small stones on the road. Make sense??? LOL It just seems like there are small stones under the tires, and that it's skipping over them, and there is also a low click or clunk sound too. I had the same thing on an old 4x4 I had and it turned out to be the Birfield Joint, which is similar to a CV. It also had shot front wheel bearings. So, any ideas???
    If it is the bearings in front, how difficult are they to replace? Any help tips?

Cheers,
    Steve
    SOLD: 1993 M6 Trans Am, black with ZR1 rims, Borla cat-back, Random Tech cat, SLP headers and Y, Morosso CAI

Originally posted by Hemogoblin
    Hey all, just had a question. I've never really worked much on anything other than solid axle 4x4's and only really started that about 3-4 years ago. So I'm still really green when it comes to working on cars. But one thing I noticed about my 93 TA has me wondering...
    It's a 93 TA, 6 speed, with about 100K miles on it, and otherwise runs great. It has a vibe problem like always, and I had the driveshaft rebalanced, realignment, etc. etc. All has been done to "correct" the vibe. The car also seems to wander alot on road and the alignment can never been sorted out. It always seems to pull one way. But the real problem is when I reverse out of my driveway, and crank the wheel as I reverse, the front end seems to "skip", almost as though it's being turned on a bunch of small stones on the road. Make sense??? LOL It just seems like there are small stones under the tires, and that it's skipping over them, and there is also a low click or clunk sound too. I had the same thing on an old 4x4 I had and it turned out to be the Birfield Joint, which is similar to a CV. It also had shot front wheel bearings. So, any ideas???
    If it is the bearings in front, how difficult are they to replace? Any help tips?

Cheers,
    Steve

what size tires do you have on it?
    wheel bearings on these cars are a rare problem.

have you checked the tie rod ends, front sway bar bushings and etc for proper condition?

where's this "click" sound comming from?

the 93 f body didnt have the drive shaft out of balance problem, that was only the 96 and some 97's....... they had a tsb on that?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

It doesn't sound like wheel bearings to me. My front ones went out a few months ago, and it makes a loud roaring noise while driving, no click or anything like that.

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
      1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

deal with wheel bearings all time at work, they sometimes make a werid noise, best bet would be to raise the car and spin each wheel and listen for a roar or put a extension bar on the hub and listen or feel for ruffness. another way is to hole the tire top and bottom and pull and push and feel for movement, it should and if it feels like it does, then the bearing is shot.
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Check your tie rods... I got to get mine replaced, hopefully next week.

Comment

Working...
          X