• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you love your F-body?

Why are F-Body owners such enthusiasts?

What sets your car above any other?

Why do you love your car?

I'll go first...

I love my car for the 305 stock hp with 335ftlbs of tourque. I love the look on the elderly people on my block, shaking their fist, telling me to slow down, when I'm clearly doing the speed limit, but my car is just too loud. I love the stock 500 watt 8 speaker sound system, drowning out the yells of the elderly for me, the leather bucket seats, and who could forget the T-Top's for those real hot days... I love my car.

1997 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Originally posted by Need4Speed
    Why are F-Body owners such enthusiasts?

What sets your car above any other?

Why do you love your car?

I'll go first...

I love my car for the 305 stock hp with 335ftlbs of tourque. I love the look on the elderly people on my block, shaking their fist, telling me to slow down, when I'm clearly doing the speed limit, but my car is just too loud. I love the stock 500 watt 8 speaker sound system, drowning out the yells of the elderly for me, the leather bucket seats, and who could forget the T-Top's for those real hot days... I love my car.

1997 Pontiac Trans AM WS6
    All that above, and the fact that 1997 Black TA WS6's just look so f*ckin pimp!! lol

Seriously though... I love the fact that we are all driving a lost breed, the fact that they turn heads, and the smile it brings to my face every single time I romp on it. Just a great car all the way around, good to look at, good to hear, and a blast to drive.

One last example, I just took the car for a spin, and along a main road, 3 kids ran out ( I'd say only 11-15 years old ) with huge smiles on their faces and their hands moving in a motion like a circle. Obviously they wanted to see the tires spin

So I gave em a little show... waved and drove off... Makes me remember the days when I was a kid, and loved seein sports cars ............ heck I still do lol

Don't ever grow up!

My 2 cents.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

I am one of those "elderly" people who happens to drive an f-body. I like mine for all the same reasons you do Need4Speed. I also have owned many many fast cars in my life and the Camaro is just a continuing extension of my love for high performance vehicles.

So give us "elderly folks" a break. I would yell at anyone speeding in my neighborhood too........but the loudmouth is just music to my ears.
      2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

i like the way it rumbles at an idle...

and giving people whiplash in my automatic ar when she finally shifts into 2cnd.

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
        www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

I'm torn. At times i wish i had saved my money and bought something else. That tends to change once i actually sit in the car though. I love the feeling of the shifter in my hand. I love shifting and actually being part of the car. I love that there's a huge aftermarket for our cars. The look, the handling, low 14's bone stock for a relatively inexpensive car. If i really desire to, i can change my front end to look like the newer body style. I think what i love the most though is that despite everyone telling me that Firebirds and Camaros are nothing but mechanical problems, the only thing i've had to do mechanically was tighten up my battery/ terminal connection when i first got the car because they somehow managed to disconnect themselves...hmm. This car has never done me wrong. When i turn that key, it starts every time.
          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
          SOLD- Kinda miss it
          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
          SOLD- Good riddance!
          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

1) Appearance. There is just nothing sexier than an f-body except maybe a Corvette and they only have 2 seats.

2) Seating position. Our cars sit like go-carts. Our legs go out strait in front of us with our butts on the floor. The shifter is in the perfect location.

3) Performance. The F-body is a fast vehicle. It's engines are handed down from the much more expensive Corvette. It is available with a 6-speed manual transmission. It has full instramentation. There are lots of aftermarket parts available.

4) Price. Camaros and Firebirds are reasonably obtainable. It is reasonable to own one as a third car and not feel bad about having too much invested in it as a hobby.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              1) Appearance. There is just nothing sexier than an f-body except maybe a Corvette and they only have 2 seats.

2) Seating position. Our cars sit like go-carts. Our legs go out strait in front of us with our butts on the floor. The shifter is in the perfect location.

3) Performance. The F-body is a fast vehicle. It's engines are handed down from the much more expensive Corvette. It is available with a 6-speed manual transmission. It has full instramentation. There are lots of aftermarket parts available.

4) Price. Camaros and Firebirds are reasonably obtainable. It is reasonable to own one as a third car and not feel bad about having too much invested in it as a hobby.

I just had a thought... Compare my post above to a Mustang....

1) not as sexy, IMO.

2) the seating position is not right. It sits more like a sedan and the shifter is in the wrong spot.

3) they are not as fast in stock configurations. They lack a volts gauge and an oil pressure gauge. (2005) The GT comes with a 5-speed, no 6-speed.

4) they are not really any cheaper either.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

That grumble she makes when she starts, the "backtalk" I get from the pipes when downshifting to slow down ("I don't wanna slow down!!!!" lol), the way she walks away from people riding my bumper on the offramps, the roar when downshifting to pass and the mean, angry, pi$$ed-off look she gives when I come out of work to go home (I usually back into my spots).

Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                  Yeah? My friend Rich says the same thing (about my 88 Formula). My T/A doesn't really feel low to me. My Formy feels lower. My friend Rich fits perfectly into a third gen but his knees won't clear the steering wheel in my car, no matter how he positions the seat. I always chalked it off that the third gens had lower seats.
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

There are many reasons I love my car, but I'll list a couple...

First off, I'm not one who likes attention. I prefer to be out of the spotlight. For some reason, I don't mind it while I'm driving the T/A. Maybe because I know it's the car getting the attention and not my ugly mug. I've never owned a car that's turned as many heads as this one. I'm sure the LoudMouth helps.

Second, the performance. The biggest compliment I received was from my Brother. He's got a worked over 327 in his C4 Vette. It's fuel-injected, and has real nice drivability to it. He was sure he could easily beat my car.... until he drove it. He said "Let me finish modding the car before we test that theory". Nice.

Last, I love the overall package. Super-aggressive looks. Sweet interior. The T-tops, sound system, and 6 speed all complete a car that makes me smile everytime I drive it.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
                      I am one of those "elderly" people who happens to drive an f-body. I like mine for all the same reasons you do Need4Speed. I also have owned many many fast cars in my life and the Camaro is just a continuing extension of my love for high performance vehicles.

So give us "elderly folks" a break. I would yell at anyone speeding in my neighborhood too........but the loudmouth is just music to my ears.

But I'm not speeding!! lol... What a coincidence with the name though eh? lol

Comment

simple...there's nothing on else on the road like it. It's as raw as it gets...no nonsense power and performance. It makes you mad and happy all at the same time. When your foot goes flat and you flatten eyeballs...you know what your driving is special. Heck, I even like the subpar materials and fit and finish...

I know I drive something no one else on the road can compare to...sure, it's loud, sure it's harsh...it even scares people. That's how I like it.

Nothing can compare...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                          But I'm not speeding!! lol... What a coincidence with the name though eh? lol

I got yelled at by an old guy in a parking lot..... in first gear with the Borla uncapped.....I was driving 10 mph (maybe) and got barked at by the old guy who had no clue. "Slow down!!" Now, If I slowed down any more, I woulda been stopped. So, instead, I showed him what smoking tires looked like

These cars just look like they are going fast when theyre standing still....and with a loud exhaust going by a crotchety old guy.....youre bound to get a flailing fist and dissaproving yell.
                          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

got yelled at by an old guy in a parking lot..... in first gear with the Borla uncapped.....I was driving 10 mph (maybe) and got barked at by the old guy who had no clue. "Slow down!!" Now, If I slowed down any more, I woulda been stopped. So, instead, I showed him what smoking tires looked like
                            -Classic...

Comment

It creaks over bumps, the plastic interior rattles, it's had its share of mechanical problems, the plugs and wires are a PITA to replace, the steering column is even worse...yet I will never, ever get rid of this car. I love it to death for all the same reasons you guys do...and the best part is that it will always be a blast to drive
                              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                              X