X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on economy shifting

The owners' manual lists the following shift speeds for best fuel economy:
    2-15 mph 3-25mph 4-40mph 5-45mph 6-50mph

It seems they want you to cruise in 3rd up to 40mph for best milage. Traveling above 35mph in 3rd gear I'm turning over 2000 rpm's. For all other gears you end up cruising between 1500-1900 rpms. Is 4th at 40mph a typo? I'm thinking it should be 35mph or so...

When I first got my manual I was shifting at around 1500 rpm. Seems that was way too early.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

More confusion...

Skip shift, which I have disabled, recommends shifting at these speeds (when accelerating I assume):
    1st-4th 15mph
    4th-5th 25mph (30mph when accel. to hwy speeds)
    5th-6th 49mph (45mph when accel to hwy speeds)

So when accelrating you shift at a MUCH lower RPM.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I would have to check the MPH, my economy shifting is always 1-3-5.

Probably at about 15 and 35.
      1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

This might help you,

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11615
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I do the 1-3-5 shift as well.

Comment

I don't know how anybody could drive around in 6th at those low speeds. I don't shift into 5th until 55, and usually don't go into 6th at all unless I'm on the interstate. There's no way you can drive around in 6th at 49 MPH, no way.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The lowest I can go in 6th is ~43 mph.

I find that trying to economy shift as stated in the manual, to increase gase milage comes at a sacrifice of safety. If you drive a busy route, from a light, shifting from 1st to 4th, takes all the oomph out of the car. I have found many a situations where low-rpm's gas-saving driving, to avoid lousy drivers, and possible accidents that being in those low of rpms has been dentrimental to my safety. I know, just shift to a numerically lower gear for more passing torque, but when you see a person in the lane next to you merging where you are at, my first reaction is too stomp the gas, but the oomph wasn't there leaving me trapped (had no place to go). The driver reacts at the last second avoiding me like where I came from. Best Advice, practice economy shifting in sparser traffic conditions. I'd like a GM driver try and get the advertised mpg on I-95 !

For gas saving, I usually follow the shift at 2000 rpm's rule. Typical driving I shift at 2500-3000 rpm's. I rarely skip a gear. Dad always taught me skipping gears = bad , but maybe that isn't so with these modern tranny's

another thing I noted when I got my best mpg (30 mpg on deserted I-66 outside D.C.) was that minimizing passing cars and minimizing varying my mph & rpm's I got the my all time best mpg (road was empty from DC to the north entrance of skyline - an improbabilty in the North East)

so instead of passing, for mpg sake, be the slow guy, in the slow lane, with the crusie-control set, with low rpms in 5th or 6th
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

Working...
              X