NFB: college and insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: college and insurance

This fall I will be going off to school and I most definitly will not be taking my car with me. I do not want to put the miles, wear and tear on her. I wanted to store it over the next couple of years while im in school and build it out. My problem is this...I dont know what do about insurance.
    My company, state farm says i can't remove the car from the policy because i have to be listed as drving something. So i was going to remove the car and buy anther car or have my parents just add me to their car as a driver. But there is not much of a difference in price between these options and it is too expensive to not be drivin the car. If the car has to stay on insurance, ill have to sell it because i can't afford it while im at college.
    Sooo my question is what have you guys done when goin thru college or can you give some advice as how i can manage to succesfully keep my car off policy? idk what to do here and i really dont wanna see it....its my baby
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

You could put liability only on the car. That should save some money. Why do you have to stay on the policy? You aren't going to be driving any of your parents' vehicles so you shouldnt have to stay on their coverage...
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Are you making payments on the car? The holding bank requires full insurance on a car they hold the title to. If you aren't making payments, I can't see why you would need to keep the car insured. That doesn't sound right. How can they tell you what to do with a car that's yours? Just doesn't seem to gel...
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Have them remove liability and retain Comp and Coll. Then have them add you as and "Occasional" driver on one of your parents cars. I'm assuming you aren't taking a car to school with you that your parents have insured.

Also, if you have a "B" or better average in College or from HS, then you need to make sure Snake Farm knows that. Oops. I misspelled that.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Go buy a beater that gets decent gas mileage. Put the bird in a storage shed and remove the insurance. Get cheap insurance on the beater. The money you are saving for not having to insure the bird will be the mod money. This is all pending you can tolerate driving a beater. This was basically what I did with my Jeep when I was in college and I drove a 1985 Buick LeSabre I paid $600 for plus $175 for new paint and $280 for a new top. The car still runs like a top and I drive it 95% of the time I am not driving the TA.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

As long as you aren't making payments on the vehicle (If you are making payments, the leinholder requires full coverage to be in effect at all times) , you can suspend the insurance if you aren't physically driving the car. If you are making payments, the leinholder requires full coverage to be in effect at all times. This allows you to keep the tag on the car, keep the insurance policy, but you just can't drive it. I have State Farm and with all the vehicles I have, I rotate them and do this very practice. Then when I want to drive any particular car, I call the insurance agent and let them know. in your case, you can tell the insurance agent that you'll be walking to and from classes and a vehicle isn't required. You do not have to be driving anything...... someone's trying to make money.

Comment

If you're making payments and need to keep full coverage, have the insurance company classify it as "storage insurance" or "pleasure vehicle". This restricts the mileage you can put on the car each year, but really limits what you pay, even with full coverage on the car, because it is assumed the car is not being driven, but still insured.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
              X