Car goes under the knife Thursday...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car goes under the knife Thursday...

Well, I found a guy to install the gears. All the equipment is here. 3.42 Strange gears for 2 series diff, TA rear diff cover, ratech deluxe install kit. I'm having the rear diff rebuilt.

The shop is Stage 1 in Pompton Plains, NJ. Odd how this kind of thing can make you nervous and excited.....

Wish the 'ol Camaro luck!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I know how you feel.. I don't like anyone else working on my car.

Let me know how you like them. I'm thinking of doing the samw gear change on my 94 Formula.

Thanks Gary94Formula
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

NERVOUS?????

My 93 TransAm goes into the shop next Thursday. Honestly, this makes me more nervous then watching any of my four kids being born. All I can say is, "I hope my baby comes out all right". Hope you enjoy your new mods!

Scott

Comment

LOL, try 4 months...then talk to me!

Mine is still in the shop...then again...I'm putting on some MAJOR toys...hopin' to crack into the 10's

Should be ready in a week or so...

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird
        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

prepare for a whinner. everyone i know that used strange gears has a nice loud whine..no matter who did the intall. jay fisher pontiac in elmer NJ could have set them up for ya too..he's real good.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Well, you can see my writeup in my other thread....as to whine...

I haven't noticed anything serious. There is a slight whine at 45...very slight I should say. Any faster and the Borla drowns it out...gotta love the Borla.

Still feels odd to cruise at 70 mph and 2400 rpm!! I guess I'll be suck'n that dino juice from here on out...
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

You should see what 4.10 gears in a 4400 lb truck feels like with a 454. Even with that weight, it really jumps when you nail it. Of course the downside is breaking the tires loose on almost every shift in the rain.
              69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
              70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
              2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

I'll take exception on the Strange gears being prone to whine. I have had two sets in my 12-bolt (3.73 and 4.10) and they are extremely quite. The 4.10's are the US Strange Pro-Street gears and are not even cut to be quiet, but for strength, and they still make no noise at all...... or maybe I'm just deaf from driving a car that doesn't have much of an exhaust system....
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  I'll take exception on the Strange gears being prone to whine. I have had two sets in my 12-bolt (3.73 and 4.10) and they are extremely quite. The 4.10's are the US Strange Pro-Street gears and are not even cut to be quiet, but for strength, and they still make no noise at all...... or maybe I'm just deaf from driving a car that doesn't have much of an exhaust system....
                  I have also read many posts of people with quiet Strange gears. It's all in the set-up.
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

not trying to be negative folks. just passing on da info.
                    best of luck.

its all small chit.

ken

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                    X