Gear Installation Cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Installation Cost?

Ive already priced out purchasing the gears and installation kit, ill probobly even end up putting a new cover on the differential too, but how much does it generally run to get them installed/ speedometer recalibrated (i think mine might be mechanical and not electrical).

Thanks.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

It all depends on where you go. A buddy of mine has an 84 bird, and I'm trying to remember his quotes.

I believe the highest he was quoted was $500, but he wound up getting them installed minus the new speedo gear for like $220. The speedo gear for him costs like 50 bucks or so.

So I'd figure anywhere from $250 low to $500 high side.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I believe it ran me about $300 including fluids.

Comment

If I recall my 12 bolt w/ 4.10's cost me arround $400.00 but I am sure that I could have gotten a better deal than that.
        2001 WS6: Black on Black, 6spd, MAF, Relocation brackets, Torque arm, Headers, Borla cat back exhaust / with hollowed out cats, Throttle body, Ls6 intake, Stage 3 heads, NOS, F1 cam, Mosser 12 bolt rear / with 4.10's, etc.

Comment

That's not too bad. About what I was expecting I know a few guys who mgiht be able to give me a discount. Ive given so much business to this one shop with my car they will probobly charge me a fairly low price. But thanks for the input.
          -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Comment

I paid $300 for an install of series 2 gears w/ rebuild kit in my '96 Camaro.

As an aside, you wouldn't happen to know a Jesse Markeveys would you? He's in Doylestown. If so, tell him his Camaro is doing fine!
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Haha, I dont think I know him but if I ever run into him ill be sure to let him know its going to good use!
              -Dan

Comment

I had 3.73's installed in my 93 T/A before i totaled it, it cost me 100 for the gears on ebay, and 150 for a new bearing kit that the mechanic told me i needed for those gears, and then like 2-3 hun for labor, does that seem high to you guys? I always thought so, he told me he had to take the car to a machine shop to have the gears removed, was he milkin me?

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Originally posted by thenuge876
                  Ive already priced out purchasing the gears and installation kit, ill probobly even end up putting a new cover on the differential too, but how much does it generally run to get them installed/ speedometer recalibrated (i think mine might be mechanical and not electrical).

Thanks.
                  Regardless if your speedometer is electric or mechanical (I'm pretty sure the 86 Firebirds are electric), the only thing you need is new speedometer gears.

You can recalibrate the speedometer yourself if you want to save some $. All you have to do is change the speedometer drive and driven gears in the rear of the transmission. What gear ratio to you have now and what ratio are you going to? There are plenty of online gear calculators that will tell you what gears you will need.

Parts will only cost you $20-$30 from a GM dealer, and it only takes about an hour or so to do. I replaced mine when I went from the stock 2.73s to 3.42s. If you want to do it yourself, just let me know and I'll post some helpful links and some tips and tricks I learned.
                  1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                  Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                  Trans: TH700R4
                  Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
                  X