Road Racing F-Body Setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Racing F-Body Setup?

I have Drag raced My 2001 WS6 for a couple of years. The motor only has 36,000 miles on it, and it runs very well still (like new). I have it set up for drag racing however, and I want to convert this car to a road racer, and a formitable one at that! I guess my first goal is to be able to beat a slightly modified Z/06 then I can take it from there. I have the BF Goodrich G-Force tires on the back 315 X ZR17 and Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front 275 X ZR17, both with American racing Torque thrusts on them. Will I need to change My rims totaly? What all will I need to do do my susspention? how about the tranny and rear end? I have 4.10's is that too big? If there is anyone out there that is very informed on modding F-Bodys for road courses please let me know, or if you know of a website or websites that may help me in converting the old bird let me know.

Thanks a lot guys,

Chris
    2001 WS6: Black on Black, 6spd, MAF, Relocation brackets, Torque arm, Headers, Borla cat back exhaust / with hollowed out cats, Throttle body, Ls6 intake, Stage 3 heads, NOS, F1 cam, Mosser 12 bolt rear / with 4.10's, etc.

4.10's should go .. you will get off the corner great but get killed in the straights ... you will need a totally different spring/shock package.. basically your suspension needs will need to be worked over entirely. Brakes will be important ...

What you should do first is find out the requirements for the sanctioning body. Not sure if you are going to do auto-x or club racing. If club racing is it NASA or SCCA. From there it will be much easier to help out
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Thanks for the response SoCal, I will not be joining any clubs yet. There is a place near my house called Motorsports Ranch that I will be obtaining a membership to. I simply want to get on the track and start practicing. As far as suspention goes, Exactally what all will I need to replace and with what to meet my goal of out performing a slightly modded Z/06? When I do join a club I will probably join NASA first. I have the club rules and regs printed out for that. It looks like it will be very expensive to convert this car to be acceptable for NASA, therefore I will just be racing leisurely for the time being.

2001 WS6
      2001 WS6: Black on Black, 6spd, MAF, Relocation brackets, Torque arm, Headers, Borla cat back exhaust / with hollowed out cats, Throttle body, Ls6 intake, Stage 3 heads, NOS, F1 cam, Mosser 12 bolt rear / with 4.10's, etc.

Comment

thats a tall order ...
        off the top of my head ....

you need to shed lots of weight, change the gears to 3.xx's.
        change shocks to Koni doubles or go to coil overs.
        Springs to help lower and stiffen the car... basically the entire suspension. (hotchkis or other similar).

They have independant rears vs your solid rear.

Lighter weight rims and of course more motor work to match.
        97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF

Comment

I don't know what you have done to your WS6 mod-wise, but it will take more than just suspension mods to beat a modded Z06. You'll need to make the power too. Since you said you had it set up for drag racing, I'm going to assume you have that part taken care of.

You'll need to lower the car, get larger sway bars front and rear, panhard rod, strut tower brace, lower control arms, etc... The G-force tires are a good start, get them for the front too. Check out www.spohn.net, he's got great suspension pieces.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

light-bulb .... I meant to tell you

http://www.globalwest.net makes really solid suspension parts. I would take them or Spohn over Hotchkis.

Comment

Dave, You said that the G-Force's are ok, and to put them on the front as well. Would you suggest 315's or 275's

Comment

You will need different tires. A set with stiff side walls. I autox my TA. I use Kumho V710's. You can use them for high speed events, but I would go with Hoosier R3S04's. Better compound for track use.
                John
                97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
                02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
                99 Bravada

Comment

The G-forces were designed with road racing and auto-x in mind, so yes, they'd be alright. I'd use 275 up front and either stick with the 315's in the back simce you have them, or go with a 275 or 285. You may have clearance issues with the 315's once you lower the car.
                  Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

BFG's might be a good street tire choice. If you want to stay in street tire class. Street tire classes are a good learning curve. You have to trust your tires. Start with street tires and move up from there.

Get a set of used rims(eBay or new) and get race compound tires. You will not go back to street tire class. Trust me!
                    John
                    97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
                    02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
                    99 Bravada

Comment

Working...
                    X