Carbed small block in '94?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbed small block in '94?

would replacing the 3.4L V6 in a 1994 camaro with a carbed small block engine be any problems? it sure looks that way... im wanting to drop in a 350(maybe bored), aluminum heads, lots of air and gas, 400hp area... any help appreciated... peace...

for the street or for the strip?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

sorry, street use... ill get times too, but i wanna drive this car alot, and i want it to be crazy fast...

Comment

i have had little thought about a rear end swap but im sure that would be hard as well, the tranny prolly no problems... basically i want the entire drivetrain replaced with computerless parts...

Comment

a carbed smallblock will have a few problems in a 4th gen. the distributor will not be servicable without pulling the motor because it will be entirely under the cowl. It will be impossible to remove the intake manifold without pulling the motor due to the issue with distributor clearance.

I'm not sure if the carb will clear the cowl. It may be necessary to notch it or otherwise modify for fitment. It might cause problems with the windshield and wipers.

I know these mods to make a SBC fit a 4th gen can work in a race car. I've yet to see someone try it on a street car just because of the impracticality of it on a street driven car.

The swap you are looking into works great in 3rd gen cars. You might be better off trying it with one of those or purchasing a V8 4th gen.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I just did the same thing for my 93 camaro, I replaced the tired old 3.4 Liter with a bored out 350 and a turbo 350. As previously stated that big fat HEI distributor will barely clear. You may want to invest in a smaller one. But it does fit. I did have to notch the cowl and get a cowl hood for the camaro, but only because I mistakenly bought and edlebrock performer manifold (which is high rise). Otherwise it fits. The cross member for the trans will need to be modified. Then to properly seat the motor, you need to modifiy the passenger side motor mount. BTW I switch the 3.4l crossmember and mounts to an LT1 crossmember and mounts. You also need to buy a torque arm the does not mount to the back of the tranny (jegs or spohn or bmr makes these). It drives and runs well thus far. Its a fun project, but I stress this is a project. It takes a long time. Took me almost three months for the install working on it everyday. You will also need a lot of tools (welder, grinder, cutting wheels, air impact gun). If you want a project and know what your doing this will work awesomely and give a real performer, but otherwise, just talk to TRANS AM CREATIONS they helped me out a lot. They could give you everything for an LT1 swap and tell you how to do it. Hope this helps

Comment

yeah it sounds/looks like a pain in the arse... i want to try it still, looks like it will be quite a chore...

Comment

Well its fun. I would recommend if you have another car to get you around and a place to work where the car can remain on stands. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Comment

yeah, no problem with the shop and tools and all that... i can fabricate somewhat well and i also have access to a sandblaster anytime i want for cleaning up this and that... any pics of these fbodys with 350s? anything?

Comment

Just send me your e-mail address and I can send you a few pictures of my carbed 350 in a 93 camaro.

Comment

Just e-mailed them to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X