Problems with BOSE stereo system???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with BOSE stereo system???

I recently purchased a 94 Z28 with a BOSE stereo system in it. When I got the car the stereo was locked so I called a buddy at a dealership and we got it unlocked, after I got it unlocked I found it didn't work anyways. I went to the stereo shop and purchased an inexpensive new Clarion deck and installed it. It works great if I keep it turned down quite low but when I start turning it up it starts cutting out, it sounds like someone is turning the volume knob up and down really fast. Anyone ever hear of this before? How can I fix it.

The Bose system utilizes small 1 channel amplifiars at each speaker. If you remove a speaker you will find a small box mounted to it containing the amp.

The amps are your problem. Your new stereo has a built in amp and it is now feeding through the stock amps and causing problems. The factory Bose head unit does not have any built in amp, the output to the doors is line level and then the little 1 channel amps boost it for the speaker.

You'll need to remove those amps and wire the speakers directly to the head unit.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You could just find a used oem head unit. I see them fairly often in message board sale sections for around $125...plug and play, man!
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
        You could just find a used oem head unit. I see them fairly often in message board sale sections for around $125...plug and play, man!
        That's what I did. When I bought the T/A, the previous owner took out the sweet Monsoon deck and installed an aftermarket Kenwood in place of it. I found an OEM Monsoon deck on eBay for $130 with shipping. The install was easy and it actually sounds better than the aftermarket deck used to.... plus it looks better IMO.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          The Bose system utilizes small 1 channel amplifiars at each speaker. If you remove a speaker you will find a small box mounted to it containing the amp.

The amps are your problem. Your new stereo has a built in amp and it is now feeding through the stock amps and causing problems. The factory Bose head unit does not have any built in amp, the output to the doors is line level and then the little 1 channel amps boost it for the speaker.

You'll need to remove those amps and wire the speakers directly to the head unit.
          Or just plug the wires at the head unit that go to the speakers into the line level out on the back of the head unit.

I bought a wiring harness adapter, went to radio shack, bought 4 RCA jacks, soldered them onto the wiring harness speaker wire connections, plugged them into the line level outputs, hooked up the power as normal, and plugged it into the car. It works perfect.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
          X