Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I or Should I not buy this camaro base...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I or Should I not buy this camaro base...

I have always wanted a red car with the paint in like new condition and dual exhaust and 4 wheel discs and big tires and wheels... Well I found a red camaro base 98 model...

I looked it over and it is in superb, almost absolute brand new condition... The underside is clean and the car has the dual outlet muffler that gives it a super, V8 sound; deep and throaty... The brakes are the big brakes and 16 wheels with 2 floating pistons in the front and 1 in the rear... T-tops, only with out their sunshades... CD player... Interior and Exterior in excellent condition... And the engine compartment is clean and the engine it self, is clean with little to no signs of leaking...

The car has about 77K miles on it... and has power door locks...

SO IS THIS A GOOD CAR OR NOT FOR ME TO GET?
    AND I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING POWER WINDOWS AND POWER MIRRORS CONTROL PANEL, SO DOES IT COME WITH THEM OR NOT?
    Thanks
    MaraSport

You left out the price

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

No LS1? C'mon
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

oh yah by the way it costs...

It costs $8995 and I am not sure if he will take this import off my hands... But he finances through a bank, SO SHOULDN'T HE BE ABLE TO TAKE A TRADE IN?
        Thanks
        MaraSport

Comment

hay I can't afford the...

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          No LS1? C'mon
          I can't afford the insurance... I am only 18 years old... and have had my licenses for about 1 year and 2 months (september 17 will make two months...) and I plan on having it before then...
          Thanks
          MaraSport

Comment

Mara, the price is a little bit high compared to buying on eBay, but it sounds about right for a local dealer. And, if they'll take the current beater on trade, that may help you close the deal.

and it's .... red ......

Yes, it will have power windows & mirrors.

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

You might want to search the title with Carfax. It might not be absolutely reliable, but it can tell you something you might not otherwise know. http://carfax.com/
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

i bought my 1996 camaro RS for $3000, of course it had 102k miles on it, and i have managed to put almost 30k miles on it myself since i work so far from home. my car goes for $6000 right now.

for that price, its alittle much.

Comment

Hay yal... Thanks for the advice...

I am going to that local dealer today and ask him if he does take trade ins and then if he does I will arrange it with my mom to let me get it... She has already promised me if he will take a 93 toyota celica st for a trade in (her car) she will take my 94 celica st and I can get the bow tie...

So I am hoping for the best...

But thanks again...
                  Thanks
                  MaraSport

Comment

My first Camaro was a 98 V6, so I'm familiar with them. The 4 wheel disc brakes were standard and they are the same as in a
                    Z28. They work very good with the V6 model. Much better than my current car.

Sounds like it might be optioned as a Y87 car. Are the exhaust tips the same as a stock Z28? If so then it should have the "performance" rear gears and positraction. Posi would really be nice....mine didn't have it and it was more difficult to drive in the rain than my Z28. Performance gears should be 3.23 if it's an auto and 3.42 if manual. You didn't say which. If I'm wrong on these numbers, someone correct me. I'm trying to remember from 5 years ago.

You may want some sunshades for teh T's on hot sunny days. You can buy sunshades for the t-tops at a gm dealer, but I used some sunshades I bought at walmart with the suction cups. They had a size that fit right in the T's and looked great.

The 3.8 is a great engine and should last for a long time if taken care of. Performance is relative. V6's make for great autocross cars and mine would've blown my Mom's 67 327 out of the water.

For price comparisons check www.edmunds.com or www.kelleybluebook.com
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

hey don't fret about a V6, buddy of mine has a Firebird all optioned out...I mean, it's exactly like my 99 TA, but without the engine! It looks like one too with both the Y86 and W68 packages. Yeah, insurance is gonna run big numbers and probably gonna be your reason for picking a V6...not in my case, just found a good rep that bent over backwards for me (I'm 20). He's 3.8 is extremely peppy...I assure you, he can take out plenty of imports if he wanted too...best run to date, if I remember correctly: 15.2@93mph...

Red is the color...hehehe So take it for a spin, ask yourself if it's a car you can enjoy for years to come and be proud of it. I know I am...and all the guys on the forum are.

Can't remember who said it, but "life is short, drive an f-body!"

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Run the value of your trade-in on Edmunds.com or Kbb.com, then the value of this car. The difference is what you should be paying, negotiate to that number. If the dealer is unwilling, walkout, if he is hungry he'll have a number closer to yours, if not find another.

First rule of negotiations: Don't be in a rush! Always negotiate for the best price, you're the one making payments with your hard earned money.
                        The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Just a quick word of caution: Is this dealer a "tote the note" type dealer? Or is it an actual new car dealership? The reason I ask is that if it is just a used car dealership that does in house financing, then I wouldn't buy from there being your age because it will not help you build your credit rating at all. Buying from a dealership that gets the loan bought through a bank or credit union is one of the best ways to build your credit. Just a thought. I only say this because I had a hard time getting any credit started until after I bought my car.
                          Oh yeah, and the V6 is still a very fun car to drive. I mean, yeah, I wish I had an LS1...but I am still happy with my V6. I live in a small town, so I still get lots of looks and thumbs up and the like. So if it is the one for you, then go for it and enjoy it. Just be careful...77k is a little over the average mileage for a '98. Good luck!

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

hay yal... He does do trade ins... SO NOW IT IS UP TO ME IF I REALLY WANT IT...

I want back and looked at it... and wrote down what I could see at a glance but forgot about VIN number...

It has on it and was $8995 but now $8195...
                            16" alloys with 235/55 tires
                            power door locks
                            hand crank windows
                            foglights
                            cruise control
                            automatic
                            V6 3800 series 2 L36 engine
                            the (naturally) rear spoiler
                            T-top without sunshades
                            dual tailpipes with one muffler exhaust with welded on 3" tips
                            (looks like 3" tips)
                            CD player
                            Tan interior
                            Some what tinted windows (looks like stock)
                            4 wheel discs with 2 piston calipers and 1 piston rears
                            no power antenna
                            125 or 130 on the dash
                            dual power outlets
                            manually operated mirrors (non-power)
                            DEEP THROATY EXHAUST SOUND...

Compared that to the car I got now... 94 toyota celica st
                            Cass. player
                            power outside mirrors
                            power windows
                            power door locks
                            hub cap wheels with 70 series tires

So should I still get it...?
                            One of my friends said that the camaros had problems with the automatic tranny's and weren't reliable... is that true?
                            And also, one of my friends has a firebird base v6 with the same v6 and they had starter problems at first, then fuel pump, then lift arms, and some others but they still like theirs... So is it going to be that unreliable... Or not...?

Thanks yal...

EDIT: OH yah, and he is a local dealer that goes through the bank...
                            Thanks
                            MaraSport

Comment

if u wanted a v8 camaro, u can look around and find one for probably about the same price. if ur worried about the insurance, tell your agent that ur mom is the full time driver and ur just a secondary driver. my agent did it with out me even asking him and my mom is insured on my 98 red t/a ws6 with full coverage and i am as a secondary driver, im 19 years old, all for under 100 dollars a month

Comment

Working...
                              X