Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I change my shift points with 2.73s?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change my shift points with 2.73s?

So should I raise my first gear shift points with the HPP3? With a 94 auto with 2.73's.
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
    So should I raise my first gear shift points with the HPP3? With a 94 auto with 2.73's.
    Change all your shift points...that's what I did
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

What did you change your shift points too? Will this make me faster, or slower? Will I get the feel of a better pull with this set up.
      94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

There..... now you thread hijackers have your own thread.

Comment

Help me out please.

Comment

oh joy. buy another pcm. (assuming you live somewhere that requiers emmsions testing) pcm's 4 less is outstanding. i believe you can have your pcm tuned with a laptop and a buddies program.. i have the program, 4got what its called, (tunercat i think?) but i have a 97. my shift points are programmed into my hard drive and shift perfect and hard.. hee hee, at 6500 rpms. but only when im on her hard... (i can see where this thread is going) when im driving normal though shes shifts like any other auto. i have 2 pcms so its a 15 min swap and off i go to renew my stuff. i love it. i firmly believe no one can shift as hard and as perfect as a computer. perfect fast shift every time, no worrying about not gettin that right gear and hangin out in nuetral land to long. no worrying about accidently throwin it in 4th instead of second.

i also have 2:73's, but my *** broke just an excuse for 3 73's really.. highly recommend goin that route if you can afford it. do an ebay search for like chebby S10's, they have 3 73's and they pitch it to the truck guys, if theyre smart enuf to pitch it to the camaro/trans am guys, the price tends to go up.

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
            www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              There..... now you thread hijackers have your own thread.

You da man Joe

What did you change your shift points too? Will this make me faster, or slower? Will I get the feel of a better pull with this set up.
              I agree with brynnda, if you can, get a better tune from a different place. You can get ones that you hook your lap top up to, by sending your pcm out, or if you can...go to a shop that will do it. I only have HPP3 because I had an extremely good deal on it, and for me it was worth it for now.

I changed all my shift points to about 100 RPM's less then what I set my rev limiter to. All are slighly different, but I believe it's around the 6200-6300 range. The reason why I chose this is because when I do feel like having a lead foot, I don't want to be revving too high on a higher mileage motor.

By changine your shift points it will make you faster, but it doesn't add torque or horsepower. In your RPM band, your car will make more power during certain RPM's. For example...if my memory serves me right, the new Z06 makes 500 hp at 7,000 RPM's and 475 ft. lbs. or torque at like 5,500 or something like that. Those are the peak power points....meaing at any other RPM, it's making less power than the numbers given.

So, by raising the shift points, your car will shift into the next gear (and in to the RPM band) when it's making more power. Your car will feel the same off the line, but when you shift into second you will notice a slight difference from before.

In the HPP3 book, it has a listing of how to change your shift points for different sets of rear end gears. Look for the 2.73 section, and find how many times you have to go up for each gear (it starts at zero, and you keep hitting +1 until you find the RPM you want to shift out at). My reccomendation is to set it at about 100 RPM's less than your rev limiter.
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

instead of just changing your shfit points put a set of 373's in that bad boy and then send it into pcmforless. this will definatly mkae your car pull harder with 272s you can probubly barely squak them without break torqueing. with 373's youll rip. excellent bang for the buck. i paid 480 for mine installed
                1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

I can spin them very easily, and I'm using the HPP3 shift firmness only. (Even smoke them in the cooler months without touching the brakes.) Now back to the topic.

Comment

Wouldn't raising the shift points force me too raise the rev limiter?

Comment

i realy dont know. as i said, mine shift at 6500 when floored. i dont know if anything else was done to it. sorry!

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
                      www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Originally posted by brynnda
                        i realy dont know. as i said, mine shift at 6500 when floored. i dont know if anything else was done to it. sorry!
                        Unless you have headwork and a cam, shifting at 6500 is a waste in an LT-1. For your application it may be fine but for a stock LT-1 it is not the quickest way down the track.

Comment

Wouldn't raising the shift points force me too raise the rev limiter?
                          Yes it does, and you can do that with the HPP3 as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X