Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure test or check oil

Hey guys....

If I wanted to find out if my main seal is bad, would you say that checking the oil for radiator fluid would give me the same answer as pressure testing the radiator?

Thanks ..

Jorge
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

What are you talking about Jorge? If you have a main seal leak, it leaks out the back of the block and onto your driveway. Doesn't have any relation to the cooling system. You might be thinking of a head gasket leak in which case the oil and antifreeze can get mixed up with eachother.

Comment

Sorry got meees gaskets mixed up ...

I was referring to the head gasket .. and the question still is would checking the oil point me in the same direction as pressure testing the radiator .. to determine if the gasket is shot. I am have a hard time finding one to rent or buy so if I can just check the oil and see whats in it I might be able to finish.
      97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF

Comment

Two things can chaeck for leaking head gaskets. A compression/leakdown test and a cooling system check. A partially blown gasket may not casue a mix of oil and water. When mine was partially blown, the #7 cylinder was allowing water to enter the combustion chamber. There was no evidence of water going into the oil, and no oil in the water. The water was turning into steam during the combustion event. This was also not creating a seal in the cooling system so that when the motor cooled, water was not being drawn from the recovery tank bank into the radiator. I kept adding water because the radiator appeared low. You could start with a cold engine, open the radiator cap and as it warms up, check for bubbles in the coolant. This is a key sign of a leaking head gasket. A cooling system pressure check would show if the cooling system is sealed by seeing how long it holds pressure.

Comment

thank you for the response Joe... I went ahead and purchased a pressure tester for the cooling system and it held. I really don't think I damaged any gaskets as when I had the problem a few weeks back it never reached into the red. I was able to pull off the road before that point. The cooling system seems to be working fine. I just need to cycle out the orange stuff with repeated flushings. I will know for sure tomorrow when I finish it up.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X