track times, bad night!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track times, bad night!

Went to that race warriorz thing. Terrible. Packed, totally packed. Waste of time and money! I got one run in the entire 5 hours I was there!

My car was getting hot from in line for 2.5 hours. I kid you not guys, when I First got the car, on hot days, the throttle would stick sometimes at like 2500, 3000 RPM. Hasn't done it since last year. As I'm getting closer, it starts.

I get to the line and once I hit the gas to rev it a little it started to stick, tree flashed, too late to react, just gunned it. So I took off at like 4000.

2.5xxx 60 ft.
    14.2 1/4 mile
    Street tires @ 19 PSI.

If I could have launched better I could have clicked off a 1.8 60 ft I would assume. Didn't get to run again. Started to rain about 11:10, so I left.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

wow...bummer dude. I would have left well before you did.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

What was your trap speed?
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

trapped at 89 MPH. I never got going from the start. It seemed like I was spinning forever. After I ran the car the throttle stopped sticking, and hasn't done it since. I just had a bad run. I was so PO'd, I felt jipped only getting to run once. They had too much stupid BS going on that night. A lot of people were complaining cause they wanted to race, and they had the track shut down for a good portion of time for stupid crap.

What is an average 60' time for a stock LT1 car? I was pusing 2.6 seconds of spinning tires! That's with a BMR suspension!

I wanted to launch at like 2500 RPM. It stuck at 3000 and stayed there and I just popped the clutch and gunned it. It's got me wanting to go back on the test & tune day. 25 bucks and you can pretty much run as much as you want.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Oh yeah, my 1/8th was 9.3 @ 80.47 MPH.

Car pulled very hard all the way and chirped all the way to third gear!

I just wanted to run one more time so I could at least attempt a better 60 foot. If I could have hooked up like a 1.8 at least, I'd be in the mid 13's. I was expecting to run a 13.8. I never thought I'd click off a low 14. My first time at the track, next time will be different.

I got a fresh SPEC stage 3 in this car too, it bit hard all the way down the track. I just laucned at too high an RPM I think.

It's just weird that I trapped at only 9mph higher down the quarter than I did in the 1/8th.

Comment

somethings very wrong if you trapped 80mph at the 1/8 and only 89 in the 1/4
            1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
            1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Comment

You should get that sticking looked at. Mine was doing the same thing adn it turned out to be something coming loose and hanging up the throttle cable. It can make for some dangerous driving if it happens at the wrong time. And dont worry once you get things all set your times will much improve.
              -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                Oh yeah, my 1/8th was 9.3 @ 80.47 MPH.

It's just weird that I trapped at only 9mph higher down the quarter than I did in the 1/8th.
                My thoughts exactly. I don't undrstand how that can be.

Comment

Originally posted by scotts94_z28
                  somethings very wrong if you trapped 80mph at the 1/8 and only 89 in the 1/4
                  That must be a typo.... He must have meant 98 mph.
                  If not, Houston.... we have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    My thoughts exactly. I don't undrstand how that can be.
                    Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe I threw it into 5th on accident, I don't know. I may have shut it down before I got to the end of the track. No clue.

It was my first run ever, I was nervous. That's why I was so bummed I could redeem myself after that first run.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      That must be a typo.... He must have meant 98 mph.
                      If not, Houston.... we have a problem.
                      No joe, no typo. I wish it was! I am starting to think I shut it down before I got to the end of the track.

Comment

Even with my car lowered, my last two trips to the track I have been able to hook 2.0** 60' times consistently. I think you can do it if you get more practice. I also think most of the guys on the board would agree if you can get a 2.0 something 60 time you are at least giving your car a chance to run to it's capabilities.

Don't feel bad, my first run ever, I ran a 16. something because I spun the tires for 150 feet. My 60' time was like 2.8

One of the guys explained to me before that losses at the 60' mark cost you even more down the track, so just go back practice and you will be fine.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
                        Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Most f-bodies can get a 2.0-2.2 60' on street tires. With suspension mods and good tires you could pull off a 1.8x with practice. Definitely go on a slower day when you can get all the runs in you want and you won't feel pressured by time or other racers. Give the car time to cool down. You said it was heating up while you were .... why? Did you have to have it running? At Maple Grove, the staging lanes are on a downward slope so you can just put the car in neutral and let it coast forward rather than starting it and pulling forward or needing to have it running the whole time. That lets the car cool down very effectively. Little things like that are what separates okay tracks from great tracks.

And don't get down on yourself. Try again and you should have no problem. Just make sure you stay on that gas the whole way through the traps. It's a common rookie mistake to shut down too early. If indeed that was what happened you may have had a nearly 13 sec run and another 6-10 mph on that trap speed even with a crappy run. Chop a half second off that 60' time and get that engine cooled down and you'll be good to go. No worries!
                          Dave M
                          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I got 6 disappointing runs in today.... I seem to have lost 3+MPH. Knock problem didn't go away.... pulled up to 11.2 degrees (knock retard) at some points. It was my last few runs with the Nitto DR's... New pair coming monday. Only good part of the day was nabbing a .05x light.

It was funny seeing the Honda guys there... 1 guy with the car... 1 guy telling him to rev the crap out of it... and 1 guy standing right behind the car nodding excessively. I wonder if they went out for Ice Cream afterwards to celebrate the 15.8 run....
                            1995 Firebird Formula
                            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by Formulaboy95
                              It was funny seeing the Honda guys there... 1 guy with the car... 1 guy telling him to rev the crap out of it... and 1 guy standing right behind the car nodding excessively. I wonder if they went out for Ice Cream afterwards to celebrate the 15.8 run....
                              Hey, don't be so fast to put down the Honda guys - they are a underrated source of entertainment.

I had a guy once stage when I was still in the burnout box. He had his Civic revved to about 6 grand before I ever pre-staged and believe me I took my sweet time pulling to the line. The rednecks that run the track hate imports, so the guy with the start button knew exactly what I was doing. I waited until the Honda guy dropped his revs and staged, and right then the starter guy hit the button and the tree came down and caught Honda boy sleeping. I left on the yellow and the Honda guy redlined it then sidestepped the clutch. He broke an axle and when I was picking up my timeslip, the poor guy was getting yelled at to get his heap off the line. It was too good - they should charge extra for admission if they're going to let Civics on the track.

Comment

Working...
                              X