NFB: Bad day for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Bad day for me

We had a horrific thunderstorm here Sunday night, about 3 am. Lighting was striking all around us and it appears that at some point we took a hit. We lost a TV and the computer, just fried 'em, and worst of all our well pump, so we woke up Monday morning with no water. On top of that, the heat pump/AC in our house runs from well water, so we had no AC today, with heat indexes reaching well over 100 degrees. Got the water and AC back on now, but we're still down a computer and television. Homeowners insurance will cover it, minus a deductible, but it won't be enough to replace the pieces with brand new stuff.

Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Ouch, sorry to hear that!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

That sucks I hear you. We lost my daughters computer about 3 weeks ago during a storm. I was going to replace it when she went back to school in September anyway, so I just did it 2 months earlier...

Some good computer deals out there.
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Lighting is a killer down here in Florida, surge protectors are a must.

Comment

I installed lightning rods on my house after I took a hit three years ago. I lost a TV and the microwave. I found a place locally that sold lightning rods for a decent price. It was an easy install and well worth it.

Sorry to hear about what you lost. At least no one was hurt.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            Homeowners insurance will cover it, minus a deductible, but it won't be enough to replace the pieces with brand new stuff.
            We had the same storm probably 30 minutes after you did. Wicked to say the least. My friends house was hit by lightning and he lost his phones and TV's.

One thing to look into on your homeowners insurance is "replacement insurance". My understanding is that it covers you for the full cost of replacing damaged items, not a depreciated value. At least it's worth looking into. Best of luck with your repairs.
            2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
            buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
            Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Totally agree...use 'em on anything electronic and valuable.

Sorry to hear about that Dave. No AC this past weekend.... It was a hot one.

Surge protectors and or lightning rods....don't make the same mistake twice.

Hope everything gets back to normal and you can get everything replaced without it putting your wallet on too big of a diet.
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

The computer was plugged into a power strip which is a cheap surge protector... not a true high dollar one. It seerms to have worked but not quick enough. The CPU and cable modem got fried, but the speakers and monitor and my wireless modem that was also plugged into it were fine. It seems to have tripped but not before it fried the first two outlets in the strip.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  Originally posted by Dave M
                  The computer was plugged into a power strip which is a cheap surge protector... not a true high dollar one. It seerms to have worked but not quick enough. The CPU and cable modem got fried, but the speakers and monitor and my wireless modem that was also plugged into it were fine. It seems to have tripped but not before it fried the first two outlets in the strip.
                  Well electricity travels at or about the speed of light. The "cheap" bi-metalic strip surg protectors arent enough for a sensitive peice of electronics. You need to haave some kind of active protection offered by a uninterupted power supply(UPS). Bi-metalics are ok for appliences but stereos tvs and computers are just way to sensitive, due to the fact that they dont run in anything higher than 12 Volts DC(well except the TV tube at 40,000 Volts plus). Some devices have surge protection built in, in the form of Diodes and Caps. Electricity will always go the path of least resistance.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror