Rear End Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Question

I have a friend that has a 92 Camaro RS 5-speed. Last winter he loses control on snow and his rear end goes over a crub going about 15 or 20. It rips off his passanger side tire right off with the hub still attached to it. It looks like the bar that is between the tire hub and the differencial broke off. It snapped right as it goes into the brake assembly. My question is what exactly should he have to replace on the car, the whole rear end or just the bar? I currently own a 88 or a 89 RS 5-speed with a blown out tranny that i said he can have for parts. Can you guys give some tips or maybe a link on how to fix this?

I'm trying my best to visualize exactly what happened. Did the axle snap? Axles can be replaced without having to swap out the whole rear end. If it's something more, swap the whole rear end. It's actually fairly easy...should only take a couple hours with a set of standard tools and 2 sets of hands.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

The way you are describing it, he managed to break the axle, at the hub flange. He could try replacing the axle, but needs to check the complete rear axle assembly for alignment and any additional damage. With enough force to break the hub flange off the axle, he might also have bent the axle housing tube, or damaged the end of the housing where the axle bearing seats.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

just incase i would just swap the whole rear...
        1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Alright thanks for all the help. You guys have anymore tips on this job we will have to do? Do you think the rear axle on my old camaro will fit on his?

Comment

An 88 would swap into a 92 with no problems, but do they both have the same brakes, the same rear axle ratio, both have posi, etc......
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Im not entirely sure. Im a 300ZX kinda guy so i dont know much about f-bodys but i seriously doubt he cares as long as it is up and running. Hes more into making a firebird or trans am in to a horsepower beast. Do you know how much a new axle would be?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon585
                Do you know how much a new axle would be?
                Originally posted by Injuneer
                An 88 would swap into a 92 with no problems, but do they both have the same brakes, the same rear axle ratio, both have posi, etc......
                You can still possibly swap axles as long as everything is the same that is stated above. If not, go to a junkyard to get the best deal. I'm not entirely sure on how much a brand new axle would cost....I would imagine a couple hundred.
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Would it be a problem if my axle isnt the same as his? Sorry i havent looked at the car for over a year.

Comment

82-92 rears are the same(cept for the 9 bolts of course) to check for ratio without takin off the diff cover, mark the yoke and a drum keep turning the yoke till the drum makes one complete circle(i say drum as i assume he has drum brakes)
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If your just swapping the whole rear end, it'll all swap right in. But, if your just going to replace the broken axle, the axles out of your car may or may not work. They change the axle splines after a while in the 10-bolts. 82-88 F-Bodies got 26 spline axles, 89 was the changeover year, and 90-92 F-Bodies got 28 spline axles. Your going to have to pull the old axle out of your rear end and see what spline it is (the splines are on the end of the axle, the side in the diff. itself).
                      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                      Trans: TH700R4
                      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

You think we could do this on jack stands or do we need a lift for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon585
                          You think we could do this on jack stands or do we need a lift for this?
                          jackstands are fine and getting another axle isn't that bad...I got one for my TA for 150...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                          X