anyone with 4.10's within

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone with 4.10's within

How fast have you gone with a 6speed and 4.10's. How fast do you think you can go. Ive gone 130+ close to 140. Just once i did it to see. And my friend is telling me that its impossible for me to do that with the 4.10's. So either hes wrong, or the dealer lied to me.
    -ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Dont care Going that fast in my 'vert is nerveracking. However fast it'll go at the 1/4 mile traps, is all the top speed I need.

Best ET: 13.41 @ 103.80 MPH (@600 FT) with these Mods: SLP 2L/2R Exhaust, K&N FIPK, LT4 KM, 4.10 GM Superior gears, BMR LCAs & relocation brackets, Energy Suspension Poly Tranny Mount, 160 degree thermostat, HPP3 ( mostly for speedo & fan recalibration), MSD 6AL Ignition & MSD Blaster Coil and all the free mods.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Trans Am- The Muscle Car Lives

Comment

You'll more than likely go faster than with 3.42 gears. 6th is a pulling gear with 4.10's.
      Rob
      04 GTO

Comment

i know id def go faster with 3.42's but can i go that fast with 4.10's???
        ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

anything over 100mph in most all states is "direct to jail, license suspension, and impoundment of car"............ is it worth it? hell no.

i can tell you...... you can do 150+ with 4:10's.

i might also add, sustained high speed driving with 4:10 will cause the ring and pinion to self destruct......... think about it.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I did 130 once, but I had no choice(long story),but I have no idea what the top speed is now. Wouldn't the shorter ratio of the 4:10's cut your top speed by a like amount(20%)?
            Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry 94Formula
              I did 130 once, but I had no choice(long story),but I have no idea what the top speed is now. Wouldn't the shorter ratio of the 4:10's cut your top speed by a like amount(20%)?
              The reason the 4.10 gears will not reduce the top speed , with a 6 sp..... is because there is still plenty of RPM left when in 6th .. AND .. it is now easier for the engine to turn 6th gear, so you could likely pull the rev limiter in 6th.

With a higher gear... like my 3.23.... The engine does not have enough power to pull 6th gear up to redline (in stock trim).

If it DID .... I'd have a theoretical top speed of over 250 mph ...!

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Hmmm....

6th gear is 0.50 ratio, and your rear is a 4.10 ratio, that equals 2.05 final drive.

Answer: You will run out of aerodynamics on the body before you run out of motor.

These cars will pull about 153mph or so before they start to do nasty things with drag. I seem to think that somewhere between there and idle is a sweet spot for everybody.

my .02

And for God's (actually yours and the other folks around) sake keep it on the TRACK!!!!! /rant

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Thnx guys, and kerm dont worry i dont plan on going that high again. Unless i end up on a track someday. I do like to go fast but thats an expensive hobby that i dont have the money for right now.
                  -ken-
                  ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Trust me.... you can't pull redline in 6th gear/4.10's, even with my setup.

Assuming a stock tire diameter, and a 6K redline, here is the top speed (calculated/theoretical) by gear:

GEAR -- 3.42 ---- 4.10
                    1 ------ 49 ------ 41mph
                    2 ------ 74 ------ 62
                    3 ------ 101 ----- 84
                    4 ------ 131 ----- 109
                    5 ------ 177 ----- 148
                    6 ------ 263 ----- 219

But we all know that a relatively stock LT1 4th Gen with 3.42's is drag limited to about 156mph in 5th gear, or about 5,250rpm. You can't go any faster than that because aerodynamic drag (+drivetrain losses, tire friction, etc) exceeds the torque available above 5,250rpm. Shifting to 6th gear doesn't help, because the engine has less torque/HP available in 6th gear at 156mph (3,550rpm).

When you opt for the 4.10's, you will obviously be able to go a lot deeper into 5th gear, because of the additional torque multiplication to the rear wheels. I would suspect redlining in 5th gear would be possible with 4.10's. How far you could go in 6th gear would require a plot of torque available at the rear wheels vs aerodynamic drag for each MPH value. But there is no way you are going to redline in 6th gear at 219mph....

All I want to do is reach 140mph by the end of the 1/4-mile.....
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      Trust me.... you can't pull redline in 6th gear/4.10's, even with my setup.

GEAR -- 3.42 ---- 4.10
                      1 ------ 49 ------ 41mph
                      2 ------ 74 ------ 62
                      3 ------ 101 ----- 84
                      4 ------ 131 ----- 109
                      5 ------ 177 ----- 148
                      6 ------ 263 ----- 219

All I want to do is reach 140mph by the end of the 1/4-mile.....
                      Geezzz... when you actually calculate the speeds.... STILL 219 with the 4.10s....wow... YES , it would take a lot of HP to push that speed!

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X