New to FBods and need buying advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to FBods and need buying advice.

Hi all, I am considering buying an fbod in the near future. I just had a few questions for all of you before I go off to look at a few cars. BTW I'm looking for a 99-02 WS6 6-speed.

1) Does anybody have any pics of the Midnight blue? I've never seen one in person but the few pics I've seen, it looks nice. I thought I was sold on black but I may give it some thought if I could see some other pics. Not to mention it could also help broaden my search and turn up some more cars.

2) What are some things I should look for when looking at one or things I should ask the seller? One of the cars that I'm considering is about 5 hours away and I want to be sure this is the car I want before I make the journey.

3) How many miles is considered to many on these cars? The car I was mentioning above has 51,000. I shouldn't have any problems with much mileage but when do they start having problems? For example, when does the engine/transmission need a rebuild? I put about 15-20k miles ona car a year.

4) What price would you consider fair for the car I was mentioning above? The guy wants almost 4k more than the blue book value! There's no way I'm paying him that, but maybe if I could talk him down I would pay 500-1000 more than book if the car is in very good shape and considering it's the exact one I want.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work on the forum.

ok.. about the color... don't be too sure you're sold on one color or another... I thought, after I owned my previous car that I was in LOVE with black cars and I didn't want anything else... I was way wrong... I found my white one and it was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen in my life and I wouldn't trade it for the world!! Secondly, about the asking price being 4k more than blue book... you should find out what mods the guy (or girl ) has put on the car... if they're worth 4k then that's why he's asking so much... I don't know too too much about these cars YET, but that much I can help you with... I'll let the experts help you past this... but these are my two cents, do with them as you will
    '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

You didn't mention what year exactly the car was that you were looking at. That would have a big impact on whether the mileage was high or not. If it's a 99-00 that doesn't seem excessive. Generally 15,000 miles/yr is considered about normal.

Mods on the car will typically decrease the value of the car, not increase it. Modding a car really narrows it's potential market, as most people don't want a car that's been modded. That's speaking for the general public, not enthusiasts.

As for problems with the car, I don't think any real chronic problems have been identified with the LS1 cars, but you'll want to check it out just as you would any car. Check it out thoroughly, or have a mechanic look at it if possible. If the car looks like it's been well cared for, i.e. the engine bay is clean, interior spotless, etc then chances are it's been mechanically maintained as well. Listen for odd noises, squaking, rattling etc. Check the operation of the brakes, transmission, all electrical items like windows, mirrors, A/C, traction control, etc... Make sure you get it up to at least highway speed during a test drive, as some problems will only manifest themselves at high speeds.

Check for indications of an accident, like misaligned panels, overspray indicating a repaint... look for rust. Don't be afraid to get down on the ground and get dirty if you can't get it up in the air.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by WishIWasFast
        Hi all, I am considering buying an fbod in the near future. I just had a few questions for all of you before I go off to look at a few cars. BTW I'm looking for a 99-02 WS6 6-speed.

1) Does anybody have any pics of the Midnight blue? I've never seen one in person but the few pics I've seen, it looks nice. I thought I was sold on black but I may give it some thought if I could see some other pics. Not to mention it could also help broaden my search and turn up some more cars.

No, do a google search, bet you could find one

2) What are some things I should look for when looking at one or things I should ask the seller? One of the cars that I'm considering is about 5 hours away and I want to be sure this is the car I want before I make the journey.

there is no way to tell without seeing the car in person. no way. what some folks percieve to be "ok" others dont. i would ask him if he drag raced it. how often he changes the oil,and does he have the reciepts. does he have all the original paper work, including the window sticker, etc. how new are the tires and what brand designation they are.

tell you what, if you get me the VIN number, I can run a complete history on the car at gm's site and see whats been done to it.

I love black too, but as an every-day-driver, its not the way to go...a lot of up keep...a lot. my black cars are garage queens. and there is no telling how well a previous owner cared for his black car till you see it in person

3) How many miles is considered to many on these cars? The car I was mentioning above has 51,000. I shouldn't have any problems with much mileage but when do they start having problems? For example, when does the engine/transmission need a rebuild? I put about 15-20k miles ona car a year.

no way to forcast engine an tranny rebuild. all depends on how the car was maintained and driven...... components, water pump, alternator, stuff like that..60-80 k...but now all of them..just depends...

4) What price would you consider fair for the car I was mentioning above? The guy wants almost 4k more than the blue book value! There's no way I'm paying him that, but maybe if I could talk him down I would pay 500-1000 more than book if the car is in very good shape and considering it's the exact one I want.

4k over blue book, he's out of his mind. 500 over if the car is emaculate

Thanks guys and keep up the good work on the forum.
        good luck. happy f body hunting.

i got cherry 97 Firehawk sitting right in the garage for sale.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

wolfwan, check your pm's.

And the car is a 2000. I hope I can get him down on the price. It seems like a nice car.

Comment

All right, I've come across another car, a 2000 Firehawk that is much closer to me (this one's only about an hour drive vs. the 5 hr. on the other one). Problem is that the car has 105k miles. I'm really leery (sp?) about buying a car with that many miles considering I want to keep it for a while. It's $12,900. What do you think?

Comment

Are you located in MA because i saw a 00 firehawk for sale for that price with the same mileage about a month ago.
              99 Z28 M6, SS hood, borla muffler
              93 TA A4, sold

Comment

I'm not sayin' that the person should be charging extra for mods, but that that's probably why the car's a little more expensive... I've known a few people to jack the price a little because they did so much work on the car... as far as the price of the other one you found... Mine's a '96 firebird and it only has between 74.9k-75k miles on it now!!... just something to go on!
                '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

A 2000 with 105k on the clock seems really high to me, i think you can find a better deal out there. The price might have been about right cuz its a hawk, but otherwise its at least a grand too high from the bluebook value in "good" condition. Really the best thing you can do is be patient until just the right car comes along. We all want instant gratification but sometimes for the right car to come along makes all the difference in your enjoyment of it and how much upkep needs to be done, you just dont want to rush into anything.
                  -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Just purchased my 02 WS6 Vert three weeks ago. It's the metallic blue you are referring to. The color is fantastic. Sometimes navy blue, sometimes purple depending on the light. Way more interesting than the red I initially wanted and much more lively than black. Go to the Firehawk.org website and open up the thread about their recent rally. There is great shot of that color on several of the cars. My ride has only 2k miles so the paint on the car you are looking at may not be as clean, but with a little elbow grease and some zaino...as for price try using the Edmunds True Market Value Pricing guide found on their website. I found it more accurate than NADA or Kelly when researching price for my deal. My ride cost $21,250 with minor mods. Good luck, you won't regret the purchase, these cars are terrific.
                    Navy blue metallic/blk 02 WS6 vert, A4, Hyperchip,160* thermo, American Thunder Flowmaster cat-back, Magnaflow ss oval quad tips.

Comment

Here's a picture of the metallic blue on a Camaro. It looks basically the same as the car I just bought. I paid 11k for my '99 Camaro with 64k miles. I may have paid a bit over what I should, but the car was in perfect condition and very well taken care of. Engine compartment was spotless, garage kept, polished, all records available, etc.. Firebirds generally go for more money than an equivilent Camaro.
                      http://www.f-body.com/forum/attachme...achmentid=1107

Unfortunately that picture doesn't do it justice. When it's clean and shined up in the sun you can see different shades of blue. Hard to describe unless you see it yourself.

I wouldn't drive 5 hours to haggle over the price when he's asking 4k over bluebook.

In addition to what's been mentioned above, problem areas to look for are rear differential leaks, power windows. Make sure you try EVERYTHING out. DO NOT FEEL RUSHED INTO A PURCHASE.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I'm constantly looking at different cars, but I have found much better deals now. Another one has turned up, an 01 M6 Trans Am with 45,000 miles. He's asking 17,900. It's also a long ways away though. I think it's just going to be inevitable. The car has an aftermarket shifter, which I could probably use to lower the price some. It appears to be very well taken care of. It's never seen the rain and has been garage kept it's entire life. He says it's in very good shape.

BTW, could I get somebody with a carfax account to run this VIN:
                        2G2FV22G612110329

It's one of the other cars that I'm considering. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WishIWasFast
                          I'm constantly looking at different cars, but I have found much better deals now. Another one has turned up, an 01 M6 Trans Am with 45,000 miles. He's asking 17,900. It's also a long ways away though. I think it's just going to be inevitable. The car has an aftermarket shifter, which I could probably use to lower the price some. It appears to be very well taken care of. It's never seen the rain and has been garage kept it's entire life. He says it's in very good shape.

BTW, could I get somebody with a carfax account to run this VIN:
                          2G2FV22G612110329

It's one of the other cars that I'm considering. Thanks!
                          My 2002 Trans Am WS6 6 speed - black/black - t-tops... was sold for $16,900 with 42,000 miles on the clock and in immacualte condition - garage kept and stored winters.

This was with 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq after about $4000 in bolt-on modifications, brand new tires and XM radio.

Do not pay that $18K for the car you mentioned.

go to www.ls1tech.com and search the vehicle classifides section. It's a real "buyer's market" there, and you're sure to find a good deal. You may also want to wait until winter time.
                          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

$6800 for an LS1 Formula...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358677

Sure it's a lot of miles... but hell, at $6800 it's pretty hard to go wrong.
                            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Asking $12,500 for a 2000 Trans Am with 84K on the clock...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359767

Comment

Working...
                              X