Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

v6 3.4 Camaro Acting Incredibly Strange, Any Help Appreciated!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v6 3.4 Camaro Acting Incredibly Strange, Any Help Appreciated!!

First off, hope everyone is doing good, Forum looks cool and will try to play my part as much as possible.

Any help with the following situation would be greatly appreciated, i am at a loss as far as this is concerned. I apologize in advance for the length of this but i feel i need to be descriptive.

I just had a remanufactured long block installed in a Camaro, 94 3.4l V6. After getting the car back and running it for a couple of thousand miles i went to it one morning started it up and started driving.... suddenly one of the cylinders quits firing. So i pulled over, stopped the engine and checked the things i knew how to check on the engine, wire connections etc. but i dont find anything. I get back in the car and fire it up and all is well, drive a few more miles and it does it again, stopped it, started it, and all is well again.

So i get on the phone to the garage, who had me check the coils for spark, i changed the wire, the plug... to no avail...

When i got back into town i took it to the garage who checked some stuff and came back that the fuel filter was clogged. OK so i take it away again and after 4 days it starts again. So back to the garage i go.

This time they replace: Ignition Control Module, Coils, Plugs, Crank Position Sensor and the #5 Injector (narrowed it down to #5 Cylinder). They sanded all the ground and live wires.

All of this with no luck, the cylinder still shuts down randomly, usually on right hand bends, but not always.

I really appreciate any advice from anyone

Jason

well, every suggestion I was going to make you've done. If your ignition is up and good...I'd focus on fuel delivery. Clogged fuel rail? That's just up in the air, but it seems lilke you did everything else.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

If it were a fuel issue, it would not affect just the #5 cylinder. It's not the fuel filter.

My guess is that you have a heat related short circuit somewhere in the harness. The turning probably just puts that extra little g-force that makes the wire seperate (or touch causing a short) It would be good to see a scan of the system while it is acting up. That would tell you if it is an ignition related missfire or an injector circuit and you can go from there. A GM dealer with enhanced scan options should be able to narrow it down. Either that or while the car is idling, start wiggling around all the harness wires and see if you can cause it to stumble.

Comment

Some troubleshooting procedures to try for an intermittant or heat-related problem:

Cold spray on suspect electronic component to find a heat-related problem while it's not working (temporarily reverse the failure)

Hair dryer on suspect electronic component to find heat related-problem while it IS working (temporarily induce a failure)

Substitution of suspect parts with like parts and see if problem follows the part.

Disassemble all connectors and inspect the contacts - and reassemble all connectors renewing the connection.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for your input on this. The car went to the dealership today and as usual they could not duplicate the problem.

Scan Codes that have show up so far

3 Codes for the EGR, Solenoid 1, 2 & 3. The garage took the EGR out of the equation by blocking the flow with an aluminum can

Code 82 - Which Refers to Ignition Control 3X Signal - No 3X reference pulse detected by the ECM/PCM.... This code led to the replacement of the Crack Sensor and some other troubleshooting

Once again thanks for the input

Comment

Having same problem with EGR SES light

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but I have been having an intermittent SES on the EGR with it showing all 3 sol. failing. A new EGR valve has been installed and it still does it. Mech cleaned pins on connector and cleared codes. Left shop and about 6 miles it threw another SES. So what problems would happen if I just ingored the EGR valve? How would it effect the running? Thanks in advance for the information. I have a 94 with the same engine setup you do.

Grant

Comment

As far as i know and what i am told, it should not make any difference to engine performance or gas milage. The only problem you may have is State Inspection. My EGR is completely blocked off intentionally by the mechanics.

Our problems are exactly the same, I replaced the EGR too and it still threw up codes and has done ever since.

Comment

Working...
              X