Throttle Body Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Body Question

Last night before I went to sleep, I decided to take off my throttle body so I could clean it good today and replace the gaskets and all that good stuff. When I took off one of the hoses that goes into the passenger's side of the TB, the hose decided to completely come off all together. What surprised me was how easily it came off....I used little to no effort . I took a quick look last night to see where it goes in to, but my tiredness + the night and lack of light made me not able to figure it out then. I know it can't be that difficult, but I have a better piece of mind when I come to you guys first.

In the attached picture, the crude arrow shows the hose I am talking about. Thanks guys
    Attached Files
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

The hose with the arrow runs to the top/back of the passenger side valve cover. That supplies the air that the PCV system pulls through the crankcase to clear out unwanted vapor.

Common for it to be loose.... I have a clamp on mine on the throttle body end. The valve cover end has a plastic 90deg elbow that pushes into a grommet in the valve cover. The grommet dries out and leaves it loose. Not a big problem though.

You can see most of that line in this picture:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ahhhh....makes sense.

Another reason why I love this place, I get an answer as well as an explanation. I think I'm going to take your idea of using a clamp. I have a bunch sitting around as it is...might as well put them to use.

Thanks alot, appreciate the help as always
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

And a close up of the little worm clamp on the TB end of the hose..... Check that hose for cracks.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

When I had my intake manifold off I inspected that hose and found it was cracked and falling off. I got a new one at the dealer, it was very cheap. If the hose is original and falling off I would recommend replacing it instead of clamping it. It is likely in poor overall condition and clamping it will just fix one leak while other leaks go unchecked. The new hose will stay on without a clamp as it was intended by the General.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the additional picture.

I actually did check it for cracks yesterday, and luckily for me were to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              When I had my intake manifold off I inspected that hose and found it was cracked and falling off. I got a new one at the dealer, it was very cheap. If the hose is original and falling off I would recommend replacing it instead of clamping it. It is likely in poor overall condition and clamping it will just fix one leak while other leaks go unchecked. The new hose will stay on without a clamp as it was intended by the General.
              The part that goes over to the throttle body was on there tight . It's just that when I finally wiggled it off (making sure not to pull forwards as much as possible also) I realized that the whole thing had come off. I was probably just going to clamp it for extra security being I have about 50 various clamps just sitting around.

I will check it again for cracks, as well as see how good it fits in the the valve cover. If it doesn't live up to my standards, I probably will just replace it.

Comment

Working...
              X