What 'inch' gears do I have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 'inch' gears do I have?

Im wanting to drop some 4.10 gears in my car but it would help knowing whether I have a 7 1/2" or 7 5/8" rear-end. Im running just the stockers and I was also wondering if someone could tell me what I ratio Im running now.

1992 RS 25TH Anniversary (with Heritage package) A4 305 TBI (L03), Mobile 1 Synthetic, Flowmaster 80 Series Cat-Back, 17"x 8" Cragar style rims(painted grey)/Hankook Ventus 245/45Z17....350 Coming One Day......

do you still have your list of codes for the content?

dont know about third gens, but 4th gen's dont do well with 4:10 in an autotranny car...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by usamuscle892
      Im wanting to drop some 4.10 gears in my car but it would help knowing whether I have a 7 1/2" or 7 5/8" rear-end. Im running just the stockers and I was also wondering if someone could tell me what I ratio Im running now.
      Short of pulling codes as mentioned, it's going to be tough. There were several different rear ends used in 3rd generations. You could even have an Australian 9 bolt and those are durable but harder to find parts....... That being said, you really don't want 4:10 gears for that unless you've done severe modifications to the engine. Your torque is better suited for taller gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        That being said, you really don't want 4:10 gears for that unless you've done severe modifications to the engine. Your torque is better suited for taller gears.
        100% agree.

I knew a guy who had 4.10's on his 92 firebird with a 305. He basically got the gears for free from someone else who was parting out his car. I can first handedly say those gears are no good for a stock 305 a4. He actually wound up putting back in his stock gears because he just couldn't stand them anymore.

In my opinion, your better off getting 4.10's once your engine is built up a bit. If you don't plan on doing that, then go for some taller gears like Joe said...3.73's, 3.42's, or even 3.23's might be better suited for your ride.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I have the same engine/car as you do and I can tell you.... 4.10's will be way to much gear for your car. I put some 3.73's in my rear. 2 weeks later I pulled them out & replaced them with 3.42's MUCH BETTER! And I still felt a good increase in power with the 3.42's over the stock 2.73's.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by usamuscle892
            If your rear end is totally stock (you never know what the previous owner could have done), than it should a 7 5/8" 10-bolt with 2.73 gears, 28-spline axles, and an open differential. You can also check your RPO codes to see what came stock in your car. Even with all that said, I'd still double-check everything by pulling the diff. cover and actually looking at what you've got.

The 7 1/2" and the 7 5/8" are pretty much the same thing, a 10 bolt rear end. The other common rear end in the 3rd gens (usually the higher end cars, like the Z28, Trans Ams, etc.) is the 9 bolt (7.75"), but parts are very scarce for them. The 3rd and last rear end available in some 3rd gens was the Dana 44, but it was only found stock in the 89 TTAs and the 91-92 Firehawks, but was available through GM Performance Parts at the time so anyone could have installed it in their 3rd gen.
            1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
            Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
            Trans: TH700R4
            Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

its a 7.5 i just bought gears for mine yesterday

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
              www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Sorry I didn't post again sooner guys, I got busy with school/work. Anyways, I guess, atleast in this case, more isn't better. I want the car's performance/pull to be stronger and I just automatically thought something as low as 4.10's would be great. I'll definetly forget about those and go with something higher. Thanks for letting me know about the 7.5 size. As far modding the engine, I plan on doing a used 350TPI swap or just getting the Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram Street TPI conversion kit for my TBI. Other plans.....aluminum driveshaft and of course some lower gears so I can feel what money I do put into the engine.

1992 RS 25TH Anniversary (with Heritage package) A4 305 TBI (L03), Mobile 1 Synthetic, Flowmaster 80 Series Cat-Back, 17"x 8" Cragar style rims(painted grey)/Hankook Ventus 245/45Z17....350 Coming One Day......

Comment

Working...
                X