Rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims

Info please. What are the max size rims and tires that i can put on my 95Z ragtop without compromising ride and handling? I have done no suspension mods as of yet.

I had 17X9.5" all the way around with no rubbing problems. I think you run into problems with anything wider than that without doing modifications.

Ruz

Comment

I have 17 x 9.5" wheels w/ 275-40-17s with no problems. And the car is lowered about 2" also.
      '00 Red T/A M6, ASCD Ram Air hood, WS-6 lower airbox, MTI Clear Lid, SLP Y-Pipe, Loudmouth, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9.5" Borbet Type "M" wheels.
      '05 Blue Yamaha YZF-R6

Comment

The factory WS6 and SS coupes came with 275/40ZR17's on 17x9 wheels, with 55mm offset. As long as you stay close to that you will see little change in ride, and a lot more grip. 18's may be tempting, but they can cause problems like parasitic HP loss, harsher ride, easier damage, etc. And the solid rear axle in the 4th Gens can't take advantage of the 18's like the Corvette IRS can.

Its sort of interesting that GM did not install the 17" wheels on the factory WS6 and SS convertibles. I believe this was related to ride comfort more than anything. But I have worked extensively on a 30th SS Convertible, and there was absolutely no problem fitting 17x9 factory SS wheels in the front, with 275/40-17's, and 17x11 factory Grand Sport wheels with 315/35-17 tires in the back. I think ride qualtiy can't help but get a little "firmer" when you go for the narrowed sidewall on a 17" tire, but it is hardly noticable from my experience.

I like the 17x9.5 and had 2 different sets on my 94 Formula... First a set of OZ Racing Monte Carlo's, and then a set of AFS ZR1 replicas, with 17x9.5 in the front and the 17x11's in the rear. The increase in grip and straight line traction can be amazing, assuming you buy the right tires.

The one downside of the 275 and wider tires is an increased tendancy to "wander" when you are on a road, typically an asphalt road, with grooves worn in it from large trucks... the edges of the tire will tend to ride on one edge of the groove or the other, and the front end will tend to "hunt" from side-to-side. Nothing you can't get used to , but some people don't like it.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I've got the wandering problem too, but luckily for me the guy I bought the car from told me about WAY early in the deal. You actually think that something is wrong with the car, but it's just the nature of having a tire wider than an imports back seat

Also, American Racing makes a direct bolt 17X11 for the back of our cars, that doesn't require spacers and/or fender "massaging" like the ZR1 wheels.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
          X